• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Welderator

#1 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:45 AM

Weldernator
start with an older style gm alternator as these are the easiest to convert.
First thing you do is remove the bolts that hold the case together. then seperate the two halfs.
Posted Image
you will not mod this side so just set it aside for now.
Posted Image
this is the half where we will do the mods
Posted Image
you will be removing: top right is the capacitor, the top center and upper left is the exciter diode and components and the lower screw we will remove the plastic insulation.
Posted Image
remove the copper winding
Posted Image
remove the capicator and exciter diode and its components.
Posted Image
Posted Image
remove the insulation from the screw

Posted Image
here is what you end up with

Posted Image
then you slide the brushes back in the holder and put a very small drill bit in there to keep them in place while you put it back together
Posted Image
Posted Image
after the case is reassembled then you can remove the bit and the brushes will contact the shaft

Posted Image
You need a master on/off switch for the welder. Since the rotor can draw 4 or 5 Amps easily, a relay is in order. The system in the diagram uses an 'accessory' supply through a switch.
Posted Image
That switch activates a relay that let 12V from the battery go directly to the rotor.
Posted Image
Now for the business end... Get two lengths of welding cable with ring terminals at one end. Bolt on one ring terminal to the + output of the welder. On the back of the new welder, there is a threaded hole. Use this to bolt on the other ring terminal.
make up some quick connect leads

Posted Image
make a bracket to hold the truck side leads. then weld the bracket to the core support
Posted Image

Posted Image
now you just plug the leads in and weld. remember to reverse polarity if welding on your own rig.

video of it in action.........http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/clar...nt=MOV09760.flv
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

Excellent Modification and very useful on the trail. :cheergirls:

Have a question, when you are welding and the alternator opens up to the battery, does it also charge the battery :2thumup:

From most that I have seen (even the ones they sell commercially) the alternator will put out the juice with the battery maintaining but after a while the battery will drain. I found this out the hard way while doing a project using my vehicle welder since I don't have a regular welder at home. On the trail this would not come into play because you really are not doing that long of a welding job.

Btw, I embedded the video URL link you posted above so that everyone can see.

Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:11 AM

Have a question, when you are welding and the alternator opens up to the battery, does it also charge the battery

it shouldn't affect it as you are just exciting the alternator with the battery. you would still have you stock alternator charging the battery. outside of the common ground, the "welder" is isolated from the rest of the electrical system.
p.s.------thanks for embedding the video. amy, gatordone, wasn't awake yet to show me how to do it.
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#4 User is offline   donnyonebuck 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

View Postsoflmuddin, on Nov 28 2008, 06:11 AM, said:

it shouldn't affect it as you are just exciting the alternator with the battery. you would still have you stock alternator charging the battery. outside of the common ground, the "welder" is isolated from the rest of the electrical system.
p.s.------thanks for embedding the video. amy, gatordone, wasn't awake yet to show me how to do it.

About what year alternator from GM is used...when I go to the junk yard a year would be helpful?
Thanks, Donny
In just two days from now, tommorrow will be yesterday!

#5 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

i know my 88 chevy 2500 uses this alternator. its also the same that is in my jeep, converted to gm years ago. it is a very popular alternator as it is a 3 wire hook-up, only two needed. i would imagine its the same in all trucks from 1980 to at least 1995. came in a lot of vehicles and inboard boat motors. its the 10si and i believe the 12si is the same setup.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic