Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Front Bumper From Scratch

#1 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

Continuing on with my Y/J Project.......i have begun work with the help of the fab guys in the weld shop designing and making a combo winch plate and front trail bumper .

like the rack on the T/J i browsed designs of bumpers and we decided to come up with 1 of our own . i dove into the scrap bin and dug out a piece of steel angle stock and some 3 1/4 " flat stock for the shackles and 2" steel pipe to use as the brush guard .

we then cut the angle to size 47" in length . then we welded in 3" back supports we cut out of the flat stock and began the weld work closing in the corners and welding in the supports and shackle brackets .

the pics below show the start of the work and how far we have gotton .....

the start

Posted Image

Posted Image
reinforsements welded in , shackle mounts welded in and drilled on the hot press , corners welded in , fit hot press mounting holes and wench holes and weld in the brush guard .and refinish it .

Posted Image

we use the hot press cause trying to drill through this stuff is a nightmare even with colbalt .

#2 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:24 PM

Lookin good so far, nice shape.. Are those shackle tabs only welded to the front of the bumper?
2000 5.2 WJ

#3 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:42 AM

No sir they are 1 solid piece with the rear gossett supports and yes sir they were strength - load tested you couldnt rip these shackle brackets off if ya tried your shackle would buckle before the bracket would .....these fab guys know their buissness ........... :cheergirls: more detailed pics to follow .

#4 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:27 AM

nice work, greg. when you do the winch plate, consider moving it forward just a bit...it can give a better angle.

-dave

#5 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

View Postmrsig, on Oct 21 2008, 11:06 AM, said:

Looks good so far! So when will the Jeep be ready for the trail?

waiting on my title to get back from tallahassee so i can get my registrations and plate ..Boss

#6 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

Moving right along today ( yep still waitin on that title ) i got a few shots of the bumper on the cut table after some work was done to it on the hot press .

Posted Image

this pic was taken before mounting holes were cut on the press

Posted Image

this pic shows inside of bumper after the inner gossetts were cut to fit over the front frame bar .

Posted Image

this pic shows bumper on cut table cooling and 2" pipe getting ready to cut and weld in place to form brush guard .
so all thats left is to cut form and mount the brush guard in place , finish up the winch plate , a few final touches . load test 1 more time then Grind ,prime , paint and install. :2thumup:

#7 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

Well today we really got rockin on the bumper and its really taken shape here are a few pics of our progress today .

Posted Image
brushguard pipes cut 2" steel pipe ...cut 18" center 7"

Posted Image
brushguard layout form on the tak scale table

Posted Image
checking proper level and angle and semitry . Guard had to be cut down just alittle to obtain
proper look about 1.5" reduction

Posted Image
grinding and setting filler angle

Posted Image
brushguard tacked in place

Posted Image
final fit of the brushguard in place roughedges ground smooth to form

next up winch plate welded in .....then on to be ground primed and refinished .when we get this done
this bumper is def gonna be hardcore heavy duty .

#8 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:53 AM

Are you going to brace the uper end of the brush guard? If you hit a rock w/o any brace, it may fold back. Triangulation is a good thing.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#9 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:14 PM

well the project has been load tested all through the building the fab guys have machines that check load pressure and stuff like that these guys really know what they are doin ...

the actually chances of the guard or bumper failing it self is about the same as any you could buy out of the book from any dealer and besides if i ever went top over and the bumper failed or guard failed
i would worry more about an extened hospital stay instead of the bumper .

but no this bumper is really put togeather well the fab guys we have here really know their buiss .....we have all the top metal working toys here ...... :1thumb:

#10 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

Well heres the final fit on the Y/J . finished it up today .

Total over all Bumper weight 52 pds . ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

tomarrow im gonna pull it off ....grind it clean prime and paint it black .

its not a warn ...but its just as strong and durable . not everyday you can get a bumper like this for a case of ........................ :drunk: and alittle bit of :angry: work and alittle imagination

after i get it painted i will post the finals .

#11 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

Well got it all ground and primed and painted this morn and installed on the jeep ...........

Final shots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i think it came out pretty good . :1thumb:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic