Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anti-Theft Light Covers!

#1 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

This is what I did to all my Light Covers so one day I will find who stole a set from me before! I did my Piaa's and my KC's
So Now I will share it with you and now the thief is trashing mine and Utkjinfl light covers!

Step 1 The light cover.
Posted Image

Step 2 Use a dremel and a engraving bit.
Posted Image

Step 3 Put your initials in it.
Posted Image

Step 4 Put your Screen name in it or other marks to prove it is yours!
Posted Image

Step 5 Put back on Jeep to catch a thief!
Posted Image
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#2 User is offline   jeepnaked 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

you could also safety wire them....its not hard i could do it in a few min and it holds on there good.........
95' YJ
2 inch Shackle lift 2 inch body
33x12.5 MTZ
7 8" Happy lights

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

OR......leave them off.

I bet @ the next tower shop meeting someone will swap them out & then U will have to go on a scavenger hunt :banghead: :rof:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#4 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:00 AM

That still wont stop someone from stealing them as there is no theft prevention and the ID is no radily visible.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#5 User is offline   offroadpete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

I agree with Ian, no real point to this unless you put the initials on the outside, maybe on the bottom. Some silicone sealent will work real well too, unless the thief happens to have a heat gun with him...

try to prevent the actual theft rather then a recovery. I highly doubt you are going to start pulling off random jeepers light covers to check your initials. No offense, If i saw you pulling off my light covers, id probably assume your stealing them and you would be on the ground before you even realized i just pwn3d u...especially since i dont even know how you look like..
Check out HomegrownOffroad.com for all your offroad needs

Under Construction, estimated completion date, June '09

#6 User is offline   in2jeep 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:50 AM

True

#7 User is offline   idrivejeep 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

When I was reading the write-up I was thinking, why not just super glue them on. But like offroadpete said silicone might be easier or liquid nails or something like that. A cop once told me that "Most thieves are opportunistic and it's easier to prevent the theft than try to find your stuff again."
WHATEVER - 2007 JK Unlimited - Jeep Green

"This is like deja vu all over again." - Yogi Berra

#8 User is offline   XrayDivr 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

you could change to fastners like socket head cap screws and it would make it harder unless they carry around a set of allen wrenches too.
president: jubicon express off-road

at jubicon express i'm not only the president but i'm also a client.

#9 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

im sorry. who would steal the covers? why not go for the whole light. or the jeep for that matter. an example of a useless markings.........one of my boxers disappeared a few years ago. he had a chip but without the perpetrators taking him to the vet or knowing where he is this is useless.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#10 User is offline   ChefJeep 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

just paint them so you know they are yours
An Evil genius bent on destroying grammatical standards...
My Wife is a Reading teacher; if she can overlook my spelling, so can you.
2002 Jeep Liberty KJ 245/75R16 BFG Tread Write MTGs OME / rancho lift
1999 Dodge Durango SXT Magnum 4x4 Stock the work house
2012 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6 V6 Front Wheel Drive Stock AKA the Low Rider

SFJC Member
Member of L.O.S.T (Liberty Owners Special Team)

#11 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

I let this thread go because I thought someone might chime in with an oddball fix that might help.. Obviously it needed some cleaning.. Please keep future posts on topic.
My $.02...

Putting your initials or some mark will really only help in the retreival of the covers, if you get lucky enough to find them in the back of someone's vehicle or something, because walking around taking other peoples light covers off to check, well that might get ugly fast.. But this is like have cameras on your property without a sign, they are no deterrant, they will only cathc the person after the fact, if the thief doens't know they are there, they will steal anyway, think Lojack with no sticker, yes you'll get it back, but after it is stolen.. I would take this step no matter what, identifying your property is a big part in retrieving it, and this should be taken seriously, if two things are identical and you can seperate them, you'll have yours back.

As for fasteners, there is a thread on JU about using carraige bolts or specialty bolts for the mounting hardware and this will work well for the lights themselves, I actually have been looking for the bolts with the heads that require a spanner style wrench or ones like the back of warches that are two points and the bolt looks like it has two pin holes in it.. But this does little for the covers..

I like the safety wire thing but it is another nearly futile thing, to keep the wire small enough to make it reasonable, I could probably cut it with a pocket knife, but it has promise in that it makes a link between them that is visible and might be a good deterrant..

The silicone that Sig used was the better idea so far, and it holds them on pretty tight, I think it is the best thing because someone might have to really yank on the cover making his time at the scene of the crime too long to be safe, and I think the criminal might resort to something more abuseive than just theft.. I'd still glue them to the lights.

Another member somewhere else decieded to drill two very small holes in his covers and into the housings and used some tiny screws from Radio Shack or somewhere and just screwed the covers to the lights.
2000 5.2 WJ

#12 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

That's a pretty nice idea but it's really hard to catch thieves these days...
If you have an idea to protect that light cover they'll also think of ways to prove that it belongs to them...
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic