• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hood Mount for Hi Lift

#1 User is offline   Safari Outfitter 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

I saw this idea posted on "Arizona Virtual Jeep Club."

Since i mounted the hi lift to the front bumper a few months ago i have been beating the hell out of it any time i try to climb something. It will be a long time before i get a swing out tire rack that can accommodate a hi lift and the back bumper seems like it will have the same problem. I'm not willing to give up any space inside either. Something needed to be done and the hood was looking like the best option but i was not willing to pay $80 for a hood mount. a quick trip to the hardware store and $15 bucks later and presto a budget hood mount that doesn't look too bad.

all it is is an angle iron and a few bolts. I cut two 3" pieces and drilled wholes to attach to the hood bracket then attached a 31.5 inch piece to span between them. two 3/8th" bolts coming up through to attach the jack and that is it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

I have this on my TJ for about 2 1/2 years. Works great if you don't drop the jack while putting it in place. I use bungie cords to keep the base from rattling and long shank locks to keep it on the Jeep while travling.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#3 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:07 PM

It is important that the jack is attached tightly or else your hood will get damage while running...
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

#4 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

actually thats a pretty cool looking mount i may try that . for the Y/J

1 thought though instead of using flat stock steel or stainless steel .( was there a reason for the use of steel ??? ) ..how about doin the mount out of aluminium stock angle it would be just as strong cleaner looking would not rust or corrode at all and would be actually less weight and stress on your hood mounts then follow up with stainless steel hardware im gonna play around with this design today in the fab shop and see what i come up with in alum ,if i get it togeather i will post a pic .

cool design i like that :banghead1:

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:33 AM

Since I carry a bit of stuff on the trail to help others, our group usually combines large resources of larger parts.

Even though I have a high lift I always leave it a camp. On the last trip something happened that the high lift vehicle had to go back and our group was left without a high lift. Never had made a place to carry it. Luckily one of the TN fellows we were wheeling with had one right when we needed one.

I paid close attention on this trip how Bch4x4cop had his mounted and I just did the same thing. It cost about $5 to purchase 2" muffler clamps and you are able to mount it inside the Jeep up high behind the rear seat. It's inside, secured, out of the way and easy access. I finished this yesterday and when I get a chance I will post up the pictures unless Bch4x4cop beats me to it.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#6 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

well heres my version of the hood mount design in alum. stock angle .i put these pics on my other post also ...not done yet i gotta still drill the top mount screws then botl it all in place .

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   nero004 

• Captain

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

i used the original basic high lift mounts that go for like $30 and drilles it to the hood, i liked it and it never bothered me, makes the hood heavier, i didnt like the bumper mounts cuz if u hit sumthing or sumthing hits u, the high lift would get damaged
Official Mall Crawler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic