Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

XJ Underhood Temp Control

#1 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:42 PM

OK my XJ gets really hot under the hood when wheeling. So since I am fairly creative and a redneck, I put the two together and fabricated a way to get the hot air out of there. It started with two fans I took out of an old server from work. They are about 4" in diameter and move quite a bit of air. Then I got some wooden serving bowls from Wal-Mart and got to fabricating. Here's the results. I srayed them with the spray-on bedliner for waterproofing, put a toggle switch on the dash and it works like a charm. I tried coating them with fiberglass resin but that worked on one and not on the other. Not really sure why. I put #10 screws through the scoops and countersunk the heads, then put a nut on the backside to keep it from turning. Then I put some bondo over the screw heads. Looks a tad ghetto, but if it keeps the engine cooler I don't care. I curved the holes upward to keep water out of the engine compartment. Total investment: <$20 and an afternoon's work. And as a bonus, I have an awesome windshield defroster now too.

Measure a dozen times, cut once.
Posted Image

Honest, these were $5 each.
Posted Image

A little work with the jigsaw and some sanding.
Posted Image

Kind of committed to the project now.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I sprayed the holes with bedliner too to help with rust.
Posted Image

Not too bad.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My son was impressed.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

Looks good, good idea, what CFM do they put out/move, each. Did U scientifically position these to the hotest part under the hood or .............. Are these things water proof & what size fuse did U run for these fans.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

View PostRollbar, on Aug 10 2008, 07:21 PM, said:

Looks good, good idea, what CFM do they put out/move, each. Did U scientifically position these to the hotest part under the hood or .............. Are these things water proof & what size fuse did U run for these fans.

I have no idea the CFM, but they move a lot of air. About like your typical 6" desk fan. I put them where I had clearance. Not exactly scientific, but there's not much room under there. One is right over the exhaust manifold and the other is right over the intake. No idea how waterproof they are and I used a 10A fuse.

#4 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

You might be a redneck if... you use serving dishes as hood scoops..

Seriously, I love this, you made use of what you had, and i know some fans of that style, they move plenty of air to evacuate a good amount of heat at stop lights and such. And those wooden dieshes are pretty tough. On the highway they may not keep up with the naturaly flow now that you have those holes but that is perfect.. The water proof aspect, I wonder how they will last considering the moisture free environment they where intended for.. However they are well made to begin with.. Keep us updated..
Again, awesome cheap trick..
2000 5.2 WJ

#5 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

love it, except i didnt do it first. im the king of cheep rigs, and this is just that. i think the wood would hold up for years if it was coated thoroughly with paint. the electric motors i question as they were never designed for that harsh of an environment. im referring to the water run off it might see from the top of the hood. i know you can get these motors at radio shack. i would be interested in a repost in a year to see how the motors are doing. im gonna post this on another forum. thank for the idea!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#6 User is offline   JeepDew 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

well hopefully the termites dont get to it.... :poke: :cool:

:2:
I own 2 Jeeps, both of them
Posted Image
04TJ & 88MJ

http://jeepdew.mybrute.com / my brute will kick your brute's @$$

#7 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

View Postsoflmuddin, on Aug 10 2008, 09:59 PM, said:

love it, except i didnt do it first. im the king of cheep rigs, and this is just that. i think the wood would hold up for years if it was coated thoroughly with paint. the electric motors i question as they were never designed for that harsh of an environment. im referring to the water run off it might see from the top of the hood. i know you can get these motors at radio shack. i would be interested in a repost in a year to see how the motors are doing. im gonna post this on another forum. thank for the idea!
I was concerned about the water run-off too, so I bent the lip of the holes for the fan up about 1/4" to help keep water flowing around the holes. I didn't think about if the scoop filled with waiter during a hard rain, but I am guessing it isn't a perfect fit against the hood and it will drain under the edge.

#8 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:46 AM

Does the higher air pressure from the cowl interfere? I know that cowl scoops are used on street rods to get the cooler air, at higher pressure, into the engine. That air pressure may be fighting the fans you put in.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#9 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:22 PM

View PostJeepinIan, on Aug 11 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

Does the higher air pressure from the cowl interfere? I know that cowl scoops are used on street rods to get the cooler air, at higher pressure, into the engine. That air pressure may be fighting the fans you put in.

Probably at highway speeds, but this if for off road where I rarely get over 10-15 MPH. One note of concern here however. I originally wanted to mount the fans to the firewall with ducts running out to the fenders. Would have looked cool, but the unibody would have been weakened (IMO) from a 4" hole in the side. Then I thought about just having them blow directly into the cowl area since it's open anyway. But I happened to think that isn't that where fresh air comes into the cabin? I am hoping that I don't get any CO inside from how I have it now. If I don't post after the next time I take it out, you'll know.

#10 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

You may want to get one of those cheapo remote thermometers, think they run like $20 at Radio Shack or less other places. then check underhood temps on and off.. Just make sure the Thermo goes up high enough.. I think it will work well enough though, probably even work a little without the fans, those are some decent size holes..
2000 5.2 WJ

#11 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

Yeah as I was cutting them out I was thinking "No going back now"

#12 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

Upon further review, the bedliner has bubbled in a few spots. Maybe I will just go with a dozen coats of paint...

#13 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

That wood is very dense and has a wax or similar type product applied from the company, it may serve well to really rough up the finish (80 grit) and clean it well.. the bed liner is rough enough that the finish will still look good.
I would really perfer to see you clean and sand them then apply a few coats of a nice deep cherry finish.. Come on, you would be one of a kind then..
2000 5.2 WJ

#14 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

That's the thing, I sanded them before I sprayed them. Maybe there is an oil in the wood.

#15 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

Yup, that is how they get that sheen and the feel, just like rubbing with linseed oil or something.. Sucks for paint, but I still say go with something like a nice cherry finish.. There is no question that they have a great shape as a scoop especially with the nice shape of the cut out you made.
2000 5.2 WJ

#16 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

I really like what you did to the hood of your jeep...
My only concern is how long will the wood lasts through changing weather conditions....
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

#17 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

I couldn't stand the bubbled paint, so scoop 2.0 has been created. This one is aluminum. A little body filler and some paint and VIOLA! I may paint it back though, not sure yet.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

How are the fans working out ? Did they get wet yet?

#19 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

Not yet. We haven't had rain in a LONG time. Looks like ya'll are getting plenty though. Hope everyone is safe down there.

#20 User is offline   AlexP 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

Very creative SuperDave! Very cool!! Check out this topic from another forum regarding the same issue.

http://go.jeep-xj.in...rRestrictor.htm
Alex P

I wish I could think of somehting funny to put here...
98' Red TJ, 4.0 I6, 4.5" Lift, Stock Running Gear, 35" Super Swamper Radials, 9500lb MM Winch mounted on Hansen Bumper.
Wish list: Too long to mention...
Member of Caloosa Jeepers of SW FL
http://www.caloosajeepers.com/

#21 User is offline   JeepDew 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

couldn't you use a snorkel to vent air out, turn the invent top backwards and not conect it to the air intake, wouldnt the pressure inside the engine bay from the air coming in from the front push the air out the snorkel, I guess we could call it the reverse snorkel... ;)
Posted Image
04TJ & 88MJ

#22 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

View PostAlexP, on Aug 18 2008, 09:39 PM, said:

Very creative SuperDave! Very cool!! Check out this topic from another forum regarding the same issue.

http://go.jeep-xj.in...rRestrictor.htm

That;s a diferent issue. The coolant is going too fast through the block, not allowing the water to actually pick up the heat from it.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#23 User is offline   JeepDew 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

hey I also found this, little expensive but may work also....
http://www.techhoods...ds/Scoop-F1.htm
Posted Image
04TJ & 88MJ

#24 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

Looks nice, but it's also 4" tall. I don't think I want something that tall. Mine is just over 1.5" tall. Cost $0.

#25 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Do to your MacGyver like creativity, a big :biggrin1: I just gotta ask??? It almost looks like a baking tray or something.. What did you use this time?
2000 5.2 WJ

#26 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

View PostNonstop, on Aug 18 2008, 10:16 PM, said:

Do to your MacGyver like creativity, a big :biggrin1: I just gotta ask??? It almost looks like a baking tray or something.. What did you use this time?

DING DING DING. I used a huge commercial baking pan. Yes, I'm a redneck.

#27 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

i like this guy.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#28 User is offline   JeepDew 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:45 AM

I still think that a reverse snorkel would do the same......
Posted Image
04TJ & 88MJ

#29 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

I can see me making another one sometime soon. Make a mold out of Styrofoam and then lay fiberglass on there. I think I want one that goes further down the hood and has the hood depression the length of it. Hmmm...never satisfied...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic