Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Heat Fix for Freedom Top

#1 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

Last summer I felt a ton of heat coming off the inside of my hard top so I came up with this fast cheap fix.. In Florida we have a ton of heat and sunshine one day I all most burnt my hand on the inside of my roof. As I took down my windshield visor it was cool to the touch that is what gave me this idea!

Start with 3 jumbo windshield deflators.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Next cut them to the size you need two pieces for the tee tops, One piece for the passenger roof, and one piece for the rear.

Lay each piece over the area you would like to cover and cut out to fill the void where the thin roof is.
Posted Image

Than spray them with Rust-Oleum Plastic primer you pick the color! I used white.
Posted Image

Next Clean the surface with rubbing alcohol. I then use 3m two sided tape all around the border then a few small strips down in the middle and then the sides of that. Peel off the other side of the tape and start from one side and lay the cut piece that you painted in and press down to secure!

Repeat to all 4 pieces and your done! I have had them in for about 3 months now and no more heat beaming me in the head and the Jeep cools off fast now!

Driver side tee top.
Posted Image

Front tee tops.
Posted Image

Back seat top.
Posted Image
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#2 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

I'm glad you finally posted this idea. It is something that a lot of people think about doing in one way or another, actually a couple of people I spoke to where thinking of much more expensive methods of heat reduaction. One of those people mentioned the heat while we where out at Bear Island, so I told them about your idea, and that I can first hand tell them that the heat has been reduced significantly. Another great tip, I bet we get a few alternatives to this, I mentioned one to Sig, but it would cost 10 times as much and after sitting in Scott's JK it don't know if it would have worked as well.
2000 5.2 WJ

#3 User is offline   gatordone 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Banned

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

how long go did yo do this? We have come into a problem with 3m tape not holding to well after it gets hot. We had placed on of those push on lights in the sammy because we dont have a cabin light and the 3m tape didn't hold for more than a couple of days. we ended up using plastic tie wraps.

Do you think that using a spray adhesive would work too? just my :beach:
Other than that it looks good and sounds like a great idea.

#4 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

View Postgatordone, on Aug 7 2008, 01:25 PM, said:

how long go did yo do this? We have come into a problem with 3m tape not holding to well after it gets hot. We had placed on of those push on lights in the sammy because we dont have a cabin light and the 3m tape didn't hold for more than a couple of days. we ended up using plastic tie wraps.

Do you think that using a spray adhesive would work too? just my :beach:
Other than that it looks good and sounds like a great idea.

I have been wheeling and driving with this for about 3 months in 90 + heat and it is firmly up their! The 3m Heavy duty tape said 3" will hold 4 lbs. and I think from the perimeter and strip in the center and middle it should hold like 50lbs so 9oz should be no problem.
I got it at Home depo.
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#5 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

Anybody have any ideas for us soft top Jeepers? It gets hot in there too. :beach:
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#6 User is offline   sbmonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

Nice!

#7 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

Bimini top---open,no,no windows---I run the AC too, stays cool for me!

#8 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

For the soft top Jeepers, I had a friend up north that wanted a little better insulation, he had unlimited funds and I have no idea what he paid so....
Most of the convertible tops on foreign cars, and now on most cars had a weather barrier layer on them and in interior finish or liner.. Well Alex gave his top to a local upholstery guy and had a similar thing done, turns out the material used for the liner was readily available and the guy was completely familiar with doing this, just not on a Jeep. It took maybe two days and the Jeep was noticeably quieter, I left that winter for sunny FL so I have no idea how it held up to the climate..

We have tons of people down here for convertible tops, I like two locals, and I am sure it would be easy enough, my guess is a couple hundo's would do it, but for some people this would be a good option.. I would imagine this works better for cold than heat, but it could hold your A/C in a little better, maybe shave a few degrees off the summer temps too.
2000 5.2 WJ

#9 User is offline   athos76 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

If you go to Lowes of Home Depot, you can pick up a roll of Garage door liner for less than 3 of those deflectors... Same material, but doesnt have the fold marks down the middle.

You can find them in the insulation aisle.

#10 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

Nice idea man...
That can absolutely absorb the heat...
I also like the white clean look...
Good job!
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic