Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Foggy Amber Marker Lights

#1 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:46 PM

today i ran across a solution to the problem of foggy amber lense marker/turn signal lights .

3M makes a product called finessit III -polish . it is a soft ..non-abrasive polish that can be used on the lenses and it will restore the suns damage that causes that foggy effect works pretty decent removing scratches also with alittle rubbin work .
alittle of this polish will clean them up like new . worked great on mine .... however this polish does not work to well on other plastic stuff like soft windows ( and i wouldnt recommend its use ) you want the other polish i discussed on a different tread for that .

#2 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

A product called Flitz Works great too! On my old chevy I did the head light and marker lights. I just rubbed it on and wiped it off about 10 minits per side and they stayed clear for over 3 years. It is used for gun smithing but I have seen it in some auto parts places too.
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#3 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

flitz is good to but its a touch on the abrassive side .....flitz is better suited for metal i beleive

#4 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:19 PM

Everyone has their personal favorites on this topic, and I have gotten some great tips from others that have used different kinds, such as Skinners comment of which ones where more abrasive than others.. Good info! I personally like the Wenol line of polishes/cleaners, they have a single purpose metal polish that has no sealers in it that is awesome, but and not to abrasive, but needs to be followed with a protectant.. Keep the info coming, pics would be great!!
2000 5.2 WJ

#5 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:34 AM

Flitz combined with the product Neverdull in the little blue can ...does a wonderful job of cleaning alum rims .... since the inside of the rim tends to be alittle pourus and tends to hold alot of brake dust etc .
these 2 combined products do a great job for cleanin this up .

#6 User is offline   athos76 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

Flitz followed by Plexus or Plexo works real nice. I keep a light coat of wax on my lights. Helps to wipe off the grime later on

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

View PostSkinner1, on Aug 6 2008, 05:46 PM, said:

3M makes a product called finessit III -polish . it is a soft ..non-abrasive polish that can be used on the lenses and it will restore the suns damage that causes that foggy effect works pretty decent removing scratches also with alittle rubbin work .

Skinner, where did you pick this up question: I looked in Discount Auto and they did not have it.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#8 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

how much ya need ??...i can get .....this product has multi cleaning purposes . ...... those autoparts stores wont carry it its a specialty item .

i can just about get any of the finest cleaning products on the market today where i work .....for plastics / metals / etc. even though im not doin that line of work on a daily basis anymore i can still get .

#9 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

View PostSkinner1, on Aug 10 2008, 03:17 PM, said:

how much ya need ??...i can get .....this product has multi cleaning purposes . ...... those autoparts stores wont carry it its a specialty item .

I just need enough to do the War Dept's WJ front plastic lenses and a litlle left over for rainy days.
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#10 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

Jim,I'll splti the cost w/ you. I need it for the GC headlights, and one fo the lights on the foriegn job I als own.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#11 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

Jim, if you are considering using this on the headlight housings you are better off wet sanding them from 1500-2000 grit and then clearing them, there are several brands of plastic sealer available.. The polishes will not do the same quality job abd if unprotected, and not by a wax based one, they will yellow/haze again pretty fast.. It is more labor intensive but worth it. Even the $20 kit available at Advanced does the job. Using the polish will actually make doing job the right way harder, you will have to remove all wax based polishes in addition to the haze.. Trust me I have done this many times.
2000 5.2 WJ

#12 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

View PostNonstop, on Aug 11 2008, 12:54 PM, said:

Jim, if you are considering using this on the headlight housings you are better off wet sanding them from 1500-2000 grit and then clearing them, there are several brands of plastic sealer available.. The polishes will not do the same quality job abd if unprotected, and not by a wax based one, they will yellow/haze again pretty fast.. It is more labor intensive but worth it. Even the $20 kit available at Advanced does the job. Using the polish will actually make doing job the right way harder, you will have to remove all wax based polishes in addition to the haze.. Trust me I have done this many times.

Matt,

Thanks for the tip on this. I did see this $20 kit in Advance Auto. Makes sense what you are saying especially since you have tried different avenues many times. I wanted to take the lazy way out but I see your point. Do you know if this kit includes everything including cleaner and sealant, I'm going to have to look closer next time I go there.

Ian, would not mind splitting a bottle of the one Skinner wrote about but after what Matt mentioned I might just go this route. Not sure how many vehicles the Advance kit does but if I wind up going this route I'll split this with you if there is actually enough of the product to do both our vehicles. My wife keeps telling me to get new plastic covers for the Grand and I don't want to buy new ones.
El Niņo

#13 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

the polish i spoke about is an all-purpose product you can do the whole jeep with ....works great as a light non abrasive polish to bring out the shine and clearity of both paint and plastic .

#14 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

Here is the humor, there are trade offs.. Any one of the polishes will do a great jopb at cleaning the lense, and to some extent protecting it, but the protection is a wax based or synthetic wax type sealer. Which we all know on porous plaastics leads to foggin on it's own.. But they do a great job of gradually making a surface look smoother and cleaner..

The $20 Kit from Advanced has 2 different grits of sandpaper in it, in small 2"x6" strips, I think 1500 and 2000. It also has the little packets of sealer in it, let's just call them clear coat, I think they have similar properties to a clear coat spray paint, but I think they are closer to crazy glue in certain ways.
It has an applicator cloth for the sealer but it is also a little strip, and this is the only downside.. When applying the sealer, the quality of the finish can be less than perfect by how steady your hand is, and how muich pressure you apply, it can come out with the smallest streaks and not be 100% perfect.. But the light pattern and from 3 feet or more away, they are awesome and it lasts, I am 6 months in on this app, and they show no hint of hazing again, and they have been put through more than the manufacturer intended..

Here is what I am going to do next time.. I am buying 1500 grit, 2000, and 2200.. The pain about this process is that the better the sanding job, the better the results. Pulling the headlights is the only way to get them as close to new as possible.. On one of the Grand boards someone recomended a clear coat that they used for this and they have had it on their for almost a year with no problems.. I am sceptical about spray clears on this type of plastic but I will try it.. This will end up being the same price but easier to use.. I have used a porter cable polisher with poolish and had good results, I have used a power sander and also had good results but the most even are from hand sanding.

Here are my observations.. Polishes do work very well, but they last between 3-9 months depending on the type the best luck has been with Maguiers polish then repeated treatments with Plastix, the $20 kit from andvanced, definitely works well, but it takes an hour or so, and they last a long time, labor intensive...
I have snaded mine and then applied a marine/industrial wax called Colonite, I love that stuff, and they lasted almost a year... Next is the fun one..
Once in a while you can get them on Ebay for like $75 shipped..
2000 5.2 WJ

#15 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

I did the financees' WJ headlamps with a restoration kit by a company called Ever Wear. Comes with EVERYTHING, sanding solutions, 500 grit, 1000 & 2000 grits, terry cloths, and a headlamp sealer w/ applicator brush. Total time takes about 45 minutes, plus let the vehicle run for about 1 - 1/2 with its brights on before it can be taken down the street.

They look brand new. This is a service we sell at the shop for $100, but if you know the vendors its given as a "promo" :biggrin1:

We have sold the kit to people who wanted to do it themselves for $50. Theres enough in the kit to do an entire car.
In Loving memory of my Caitiebaby..
June 26. 1988 - August 29, 2008

2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Full ACR suspension swap, 2" lowering springs, 17" SRT rims, CAI, Cat - Back, 5 speed, stage 2 clutch, strut tower bars, sway bars - Autocross Car/Daily Driver

1990 Jeep XJ - Gettin ready to make a scene.

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#16 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

I've also seen that restoration kit on amazon.. they're selling it for $39.99...
http://www.amazon.com/Ever-Wear-Headlight-...t/dp/B00195WJF4
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

#17 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

I like the idea of all in a kit. I've been trying to see which one I should go with and there are so many. Any personal experience with any of these except for the one that BustedKnuckl posted?

Here is the one that Advanced, Wallmart, etc sells. $20
http://www.bestheadlightcleaner.com/

Diamondite. $60
http://paintcare-n-d...diamondite.html

Wynn's Restoration kit: 5 year warranty. With instruction video. I could not find a price on these.
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/wynns-he...-kit/1407461500
http://www.wynnsusa.com/new_en.aspx

Permatex. $20
http://www.expotv.com/PERMATEX-INC-09135-H...NS-RESTO/15-S2N

Now, the question is except for the one that offers the 5 year Warranty.... How long will the lenses stay Clear?
El Niņo

#18 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

DO NOT USE PERMATEX!!!! They make alot of great products, this isn't one of them!

2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Full ACR suspension swap, 2" lowering springs, 17" SRT rims, CAI, Cat - Back, 5 speed, stage 2 clutch, strut tower bars, sway bars - Autocross Car/Daily Driver

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#19 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:31 AM

i just did this saturday am. the driver's side headlight on holly's old hyundai was fogged over really bad and was significantly yellowing. i had bought the permatex kit a while ago, but never got around to doing it due to the effort required. on a whim, i picked up the 3M Headlight Lens Restoration Kit. the kit was $16 at A-zone and, unlike many others, it is designed to be used with a common drill. sadly, i didn't take any "before" pictures, but the lens used to look like garbage and now it looks new...like brand new. the kit was to contain enough to do one full car, but i still have stuff left over. the truck is not nearly as bad, but it plan to do it with the leftover materials. i'll try to take a few pictures...

-dave

ps - the manager (whom i've come to know real well) did say that it was a new product and that i was the first one to buy one. i've let them know of my satisfaction on this kit. again, it looks brand new!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

That looks good Dave. Now the question... how long will it stay clear and is there an actual different with regards to this between products.

BustedKnuckl, you mention not to use the Permatex... reason :question:
El Niņo

#21 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:44 AM

View PostJim B, on Sep 16 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

That looks good Dave. Now the question... how long will it stay clear and is there an actual different with regards to this between products.

dammit jim...why do you always ask me to look into the future when my crystal ball is broken!?!? only time will tell. if we keep this one in our fleet, i'll report back. i look all through the package and it does say that the product is warranted against manufacturers defects, but no guarantee on how long the finish will last. the hazing and yellowing is an interesting beast in itself. both headlights are original oem. one yellowed terribly and one still is clear as can be. fwiw, i've had consistent results with most 3M products.

-dave

#22 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

View PostJim B, on Sep 16 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

BustedKnuckl, you mention not to use the Permatex... reason :question:

Cause Thats what I initally used on Caities WJ. I always use the Ever-Wear product at work. On my day off I swung by Napacrapa and figured "Hey, this should work" Yeah... how about NO!

Permatex directions tell you to "Use the carten it came in to soak the sandpaper in tap water... THATS IT! I know its wet sanding but Jeez!!!

Whereas the Ever-wear product comes with a solution thats 50% water blended with other chemicals to help penetrate the layers of plastic, and elimates buildup of waste.

AND, its clearcoat product is far batter, speads smooth, awesome glossy effect that stays, and the applicator brush makes it so easy.

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#23 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

View PostBustedKnuckl, on Sep 16 2008, 07:00 PM, said:

Cause Thats what I initally used on Caities WJ. I always use the Ever-Wear product at work. On my day off I swung by Napacrapa and figured "Hey, this should work" Yeah... how about NO!

Permatex directions tell you to "Use the carten it came in to soak the sandpaper in tap water... THATS IT! I know its wet sanding but Jeez!!!

Whereas the Ever-wear product comes with a solution thats 50% water blended with other chemicals to help penetrate the layers of plastic, and elimates buildup of waste.

AND, its clearcoat product is far batter, speads smooth, awesome glossy effect that stays, and the applicator brush makes it so easy.

Exactly the answer I was looking for with with some what of a track record. :shock: Do you have info on where to get this? Did you take them off the vehicle or did you do this right on the vehicle?

I like the info the NonStop mentioned on Post#14. Regarding the haze coming back with polishes and the experience he had from the kit he used still going strong.

Not sure which kit I will wind up getting for the War Dept's vehicle, I plan to tackle this in about 3 weeks. So many kits on the market. :question:
El Niņo

#24 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

Heres the kit I use, Amazon price is $39. (Pft, we charge 3 times that!)

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#25 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:42 PM

View PostBustedKnuckl, on Sep 17 2008, 03:41 PM, said:

Heres the kit I use, Amazon price is $39. (Pft, we charge 3 times that!)

This is the same as what I've posted in the previous post...
Not bad @ $39...
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic