:roll: :no: :banghead1: :roll: :grin: :cry: :drama: :rip:

#2 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Skinner....

let's roll....

i can start right now. minimal electrical, a seat and some steering and arnold will kick your @$$ all over bear island in the am. where are we meeting?!?!?!?!?

:banghead1:

-dave

sofl...check my gallery. i'm not sure what exactly happened. dino was too busy to change my oil so i did it myself. i'm not exactly sure where...but it went south somewhere after that.

#3 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

He had to address some rust issues so he stripped the whole thing and he's going to re-bed line as well as re-paint him. He's gonna look awesome when he's finished!!! Since it's way too hot to go wheelin' in him in the summer months he thought it would be a good time get some body work done. We hope to be up and running again in the fall around end of September I hope. We miss him though! The dogs do too!!!!
Holly
Yellow 92 YJ, Elvis, I share with LrdJeffson

Jeep...the power of American manufacturing...600,000 Jeeps deployed during WWII...a vehichle that can go anywhere, do anything...it embodies the American spirit!
Stuck happens! :0

"Your winch or mine?"

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."
"The main thing is to keep the main thing as the main thing." ;)

Member of South Florida Jeep Club

#4 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

dino...i couldn't have done it with the monkey wrench. look closely. the monkey wrench is on my steering linkage so i can get it in and out of the spray booth. NOTE: leave the steering as the last thing to remove if you choose to do this yourself!

skinner...i've given up on offroading with you so i'm cleaning and painting so i can mall crawl with the best of them. i concede and give you props. you are the true king!!! i bet you could out perform JeepDew on Trail 1!! but i'm still gunning for you. when i'm done with this project, the clear coat on my bumpers and nerf bars will RULE!!! Posted Image

now...let's take a poll:

a. Competition Yellow (current color...from the mid-70s corvettes)
b. Hugger Orange (yep...late 60s camaros)
c. Sublime Green (early 70s VW Beetles)

in all seriousness...this is a trail rig. even after fresh paint and a complete body-off for the second time, this jeep will go offroad regularly. we're gonna shoot some 3 part single stage on the body. the underneath will be redone w/ epoxy sealer/primer and then black undercoating. as you can see, the bed has been completely stripped of the MULTIPLE coats of bedliner that were in there. We will do it one last time and it will be done the right way. we will NEVER strip the tub again...that project sucked!

there's all sorts of planned upgrades, but i have no idea when they will happen. i'd really like to redo the dash...it just depends on whether other opportunities (or obstacles) present themselves and absorb what limited budget i have.
Posted Image

-dave

#5 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

first of all jefferson you are but a mere ( grasshopper ) as pavement krawlers go ......i truly rule over my kingdom jeep dew cant touch this ..........:2thumup: :biggrin1:

now on to the serious stuff .

what type of paint are you using ???? i got the 3 stage part ......... and who is spraying it ? you and dino ???/......make sure you guys wipe down with some T0015 body prep wash before you paint to get off any lingering contaminates ....nothing worse then laying down that base coat and you get a reaction from something you missed .

my pick ...Sublime Green .....ad a light tinge of yellow to the clear just alittle dont over do it just a few drops goes along way ......it will give it a cool affect .before the next jeep fest im probably gonna do a total toy strip down and repaint myself so it looks totally killer for jeep fest cause im goin after another :cheers: as usual .

if you do the yellow or orange make sure you clear coat atleast 3 coats at .5mils per pass it will give it a deeper luster and will last longer .

#6 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

View PostSkinner1, on Aug 3 2008, 12:02 PM, said:

what type of paint are you using ???? i got the 3 stage part ......... and who is spraying it ? you and dino ???

single stage urethane. no clear. i like it cause an amateur like myself can spray it with a hvlp gun in a big 4 wall tent that has few shop vacs running like a down draft booth. :2thumup: i keep dino on reserve for my more serious projects like oil changes and tire rotations. spray the primer...sand...then multiple coats that can be wet sanded to a decent look. i'm not into the base/clear cause i put this rig through its paces regularly. if i could find an oven big enough i'd powder coat the whole thing! and then there's kubota orange tractor paint. :biggrin1:

View PostLadyJeffson, on Aug 3 2008, 12:10 PM, said:

Gotta love how he says "we are doing this...and we're doing that"...trust me, he's doing all the work!! I love to watch him work though...

i guess i should have said "we approve the funding for doing this...and we approve the funding for doing that..."

no...that's not it....

hrm...

"she approves the funding so i can do this...and she approves the funding so i can do that..."

-dave

#7 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:58 AM

a. Competition Yellow (current color...from the mid-70s corvettes)
b. Hugger Orange (yep...late 60s camaros)
c. Sublime Green (early 70s VW Beetles)
d. Camoufladge (like soflmuddin does, he is so cool)

id stick with your yeller. just got use to it. plus you can find it after a rough night. orange? :) sublime green? how about changing that to od green. o'yea "d." is a great choice, wish i thought of it.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#8 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

we're down to the last of it and now you know why i am where i am.
Posted Image

Posted Image

now we need to cut out all of the body rot and weld in some new panels.
the front clip is now gone too....
Posted Image
-dave

#9 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Aug 5 2008, 09:52 AM, said:

we're down to the last of it and now you know why i am where i am.
-dave

you know there is a muleciluar product on the market called ( Belzona metal surfacer batch number # 1311 )......that you could apply to that affected area and it would last just as long as it would if you cut out and replaced the piece and quite time saving ....it is a 2 part product with a MIX RATIO OF 4/1 that is sandable and paintable ...it is extremely durable being a marine product and once it dries it is solid as steel when applied proprely ......but it is a bit costly $150-$300 a kit but it is great stuff .
just alittle tip for those with extreme rust issues that dont have or cant get access to a welder .

http://www.belzona.com/products.aspx

#10 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

View PostSkinner1, on Aug 7 2008, 03:13 PM, said:

you know there is a muleciluar product on the market called ( Belzona metal surfacer batch number # 1311 )......that you could apply to that affected area and it would last just as long as it would if you cut out and replaced the piece and quite time saving ....it is a 2 part product with a MIX RATIO OF 4/1 that is sandable and paintable ...it is extremely durable being a marine product and once it dries it is solid as steel when applied proprely ......but it is a bit costly $150-$300 a kit but it is great stuff .
just alittle tip for those with extreme rust issues that dont have or cant get access to a welder .

http://www.belzona.com/products.aspx

thanks for the tip!! i would consider that if i hadn't already struck a deal with a fabricator who's willing to cut and weld some strong panels for a VERY fair price. when i used to have the vinyl gig going full time, i'd tell people that i worked good, fast and cheap. pick two. i will forgo fast for good & cheap (at least for this project).

my standard for rust is to media blast it and all affected areas and coat with ospho. after that, i use a marine epoxy primer that moisture cures to an incredibly hard finish and then polish it off with what ever topcoat i'm gonna use. i chose body shutz for the undercariage, fender wells and liners and i'll be spraying fresh bedliner in the tub.

i have already forgot the name of the paint i bought (the invoice says "PPG Code D"). It's a 4:1:1 urethane that has a clear built into it. suppoooooooosedly it's very amateur friendly and dries to a bright gloss finish with no wet sand or clear required. i actually went a few shades lighter to the early 70s "bright corvette yellow".

last for this post, HUGE props go out to A Auto Tech in Kendall. I showed up with my dented fender (which holly and i BOTH claim to be responsible for lol) and in the amount of time it took brent to give me a facility tour, the fender had been hammered, filled and spot primed. talk about FAST SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-dave

#11 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:32 AM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Aug 1 2008, 09:15 PM, said:

:unsure: i :think: think lrdjefferson did it with the monkey wrench in the back yard :shock2:

i did it with the SAWZALL in the front yard!!!!!! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-dave

#12 User is offline   athos76 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

Absolute Powder Coating in Pompano has a 35 ft long oven. They could powder coat it for ya. They might be able to do the CPC military coating too...

#13 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:55 AM

a little more progress of late...

i brought the tub and the rollbar down to Backcountry Jeepers in Tavernier. Jerry was able to cut out all of the rust and rot and weld in some new 5/16" steel plates to reinforce where the cage mounts to the tub. i wasn't concerned with pretty...i needed strong and safe. Backcountry Jeepers listened to what i wanted and delivered it in a short time frame for a very fair price. A++ to Jerry and Backcountry Jeepers. (looks like arnold will be going back to Jerry in a bit for a project to be disclosed at a later date. :biggrin1: )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

all of the chips and dings on the hood have been filled and spot primed.
Posted Image

the fenders have been fully epoxy primed and the surfaces to be yellow have been primed and wet-sanded.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I might have gone with too much yellow?!?!?!?!?
Posted Image

all exterior hardware and hinges were media blasted, epoxy primed, texture coated and then top coated w/ a sealer (i'm serious about never having to fight any more rust!!!!!).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

support bars received the same treatment...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

more updates as progress is made...

-dave

#14 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:10 AM

Looking good dave, I know how time consuming a restoration is and I can see you are not cutting corners on arnold :biggrin1:

I like the texture coat you are using
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

View Postsoflmuddin, on Sep 12 2008, 08:07 AM, said:

looking good dave.i see you have holly involved. great project you both can be proud of. yea, that is yellow. ill bring my sun glasses next time i stop by.

she likes to take it out and play with it so she helps with the gettin' er done! she's got twice the skills of cubacon and half the siz...nevermind! :biggrin1:

View PostTallJeep, on Sep 12 2008, 08:10 AM, said:

Looking good dave, I know how time consuming a restoration is and I can see you are not cutting corners on arnold :bat:

I like the texture coat you are using

thanks, gus! it is totally being done the right way. sadly, it's all being done in a tent so it's not going to be cosmetically perfect. i'm already tired of sanding and priming and sanding and priming and haven't even got to the body yet. arnold will never be a show queen. we're trying like hell to get it done so we can get it offroad and likely ding something. it's a jeep thing (and i know you understand!!) the texture comes from plastikote and then it's sprayed with a few ceramic topcoats. it makes for a pretty hard finish.

-dave

#16 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

View Postnero004, on Sep 12 2008, 04:15 PM, said:

WOW dave NICE WORK, big ups to myou my frend, im jst trying to figure out how holly approved of all this. can wait to see it again

It's easy to approve things that I enjoy too! :wacko: Seriously, it really needed to be done and it doesn't cost that much when you do it on your own. Just time..... I guess the auto part store bills are adding up a little but, oh well...it's our hobby and we love it. We miss being able to go for rides with the dogs besides going 4 wheelin'! There's nothing like riding around in our Jeep to make the day seem brighter. Dave LOVES working on Arnold (like most jeepin' men) and I LOVE to watch him work...... :biggrin1: Sometimes, I work too. LOL :angry1: I can definitely handle priming/painting. He's trying to convince me to learn to change the oil, but I'm still on the fence on that one...
Holly

Jeep...the power of American manufacturing...600,000 Jeeps deployed during WWII...a vehichle that can go anywhere, do anything...it embodies the American spirit!

"Your winch or mine?"

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."

#17 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

i really hope you guys are at least using an exhaust fan when your spraying that paint ....it is a brain cell killer you know .

what type of spray gun are you using to do the large pieces ....hood and body etc ?????

#18 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

View PostSkinner1, on Sep 12 2008, 07:46 PM, said:

i really hope you guys are at least using an exhaust fan when your spraying that paint ....it is a brain cell killer you know .

what type of spray gun are you using to do the large pieces ....hood and body etc ?????

I thought that was glue......people sniff paint too?????? Who knew.......

Dave will have to address the spray gun question....not sure of the type but it works with the compressor and seems to evenly spray very nicely. Not much over spray either...but I'm feeling a little spacey right now so, I may have to lay down.....LOL
Holly

"Your winch or mine?"

#19 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

try a resperator

#20 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

thanks for the kudos, guys. we've made a little more progress...i think these pics are self explanatory.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-dave

ps - greg, i'm using a gravity fed hvlp spray gun with 1.2 mm needle and running about 25 psi.

#21 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:48 AM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Sep 18 2008, 11:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

I see you guys upgrade it the rims and tires :cheergirls:

Those are very popular
Posted Image

#22 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

i highly recommend it!! sometimes seeing things from above gives you some insight that you might not otherwise see...
Posted Image

anyone got one laying around?!?!?!?!?

-dave

#23 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Sep 18 2008, 06:58 PM, said:

you want a pineapple garnish w/ that? don't take this the wrong way, greg...but get your candy-asse...errr...appled red with cranberry whatever outta here. that sounds like something that needs a straw and an umbrella. trail rigs only! :bicept:

-dave

:biggrin1: i was only kiddin around ...lol.....but you to are really doing a good job on him ...for a home project big time impressive .
anyway that is a nasty crack you got there though .are you going to be sandblasting the frame and undercoating it ..?
not sure if you already looked into this but
you know US paints makes a product that we use on our steel lift cars ...that we use on the waterelevator ....its a steel primer super super durable ....its a 4-1 ratio mix real thick comes in redish brown or white and you can paint over it ..you can easily apply it via brush or spray .no thinners required ...just for clean up after ..hands etc..it is very protective excellent for the type of abuse you put it through .
long lasting also . comes in 1 gallon and 5 gallon kits .

you mentioned the gun you were using to me ....is it a 1 QT.or 2QT. ....when you do the larger parts like the body and hood maybe you would be interested in barrowing my binks...2001 2qt ....less pressure on your hands ...and gives you alot more paint to work with at 1 time which makes the job easier so you dont have to stop and refill on larger parts .
25 p.s.i. is good ...but when you do the big stuff i would kick it up to a steady 30-35 p.s.i. feed in the gun with about 6-8 p.s.i. on the fan tip guage . and your fan spread should be around 8"-10" get a nice even finish that way on the big stuff and less work on you .
those HVLP (high volume low pressure) guns are great for parts and stuff like that but for large stuff ....the more the air the better ....
( just a suggestion bein made out of my experience )

#24 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

lol. when you bring the wagon body over for me to do, just be sure to drop off that pair of FCs with it! i do your body...you drop the cummins in arnold? then we can all sound funny like this red yj i know.

-dave

Posted Image

#25 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:12 AM

more progress today...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-dave

#26 User is offline   Stump Jumper 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

Lookin good! How did the undercoating turn out for you? Would you reccomend? :banghead1: :2thumup:
Jerrod

61 Willys Wagon- wagoneer frame, torino 302, t-18 trans, Novak adapter, Dana 20 case w/18 gears twin stick, Warn overdrive, pile of parts to be installed, Custom rust
'99 Grand Ltd- parking lot scratches, dog hair

"Stupid is stupid does" more than a quote, its a way of life!

#27 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

the pictures don't do it justice...it came out real nice...i would totally recommend it! :2thumup: i've used dump guns before to spray bedliner so i found it to be pretty user friendly. the underneath has been done and the inside of the tub has been fully epoxy coated. next step is to get the tub back horizontal and begin prepping the outside body for paint. other parts are coming along nicely also.

-dave

thanks to all that have chimed in here and elsewhere offering ideas and such for the case. my ultimate goal is to replace it with a cast iron gear driven case. since our case has already been rebuilt and has new forks, chain, et al, we're going to put our guts into a new housing and keep this moving along...

#28 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

still a d30/d35 combo, but up to 4.10s and an ected in the rear
Posted Image

Posted Image

we'll do a brake overhaul...
Posted Image

new (used) set of baja claws...
Posted Image

Posted Image

5 new u-joints thanks to tom woods and jotm
Posted Image

-dave

#29 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Sep 23 2008, 08:53 PM, said:

new (used) set of baja claws...
Posted Image

Are those the tires that I got from bigpapa then sold it to jansel, jansel trade it to skinner for the tires I sold skinner and then skinner sold them to you? :2thumup:

#30 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:37 AM

axleshafts after sandblast, paint and new u-joints...
Posted Image

she misses it as much as we do...
Posted Image

this would have been SO much easier before we mounted the tires...
Posted Image

a dash of yellow...shocking!
Posted Image

sean installing the axle shafts and internal parts...
Posted Image

nuff said...
Posted Image

love the way they came out...
Posted Image

breaking down the front end...
Posted Image

front end removed...
Posted Image

u-bolts came out with a little help...
Posted Image

with the new bolts installed...love the way it looks...hope it lasts...
Posted Image

more later...

-dave

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic