• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eaton Detroit Locker

#1 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

i placed a call to eaton tech dept. and was told the eaton 8.25 detroit locker part # 187c179a will fit the jeep liberty. i informed the tech dept that the c-clips were too large for the pocket in the detroit locker. i was told to grind the clips and it would be my responsibility in the event of a lost axle since i was the one who ground the clip and eaton would not be responsible.
it will probably work but it is a huge responsibility for a few $ of profit.
i will inform the customer to grind the clips and install the axles.

#2 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Jul 31 2008, 11:12 AM, said:

i placed a call to eaton tech dept. and was told the eaton 8.25 detroit locker part # 187c179a will fit the jeep liberty. i informed the tech dept that the c-clips were too large for the pocket in the detroit locker. i was told to grind the clips and it would be my responsibility in the event of a lost axle since i was the one who ground the clip and eaton would not be responsible.
it will probably work but it is a huge responsibility for a few $ of profit.
i will inform the customer to grind the clips and install the axles.

It is the same thing with the lock right, you have to grind the carrier in order to be able to fit the locker inside and they don't tell you that until you have the part and read the instructions. Can you return the locker ?

#3 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

I have head about this and wondered what the specific fit problem was.. There are a few 8.25" axles the earlier the later, and the newer, the new Grand Cherokee uses an 8.25" but it is a little wider in the the housing area, to accomodate the new style Diff/Locker assembly, the VairLock.

I was very curious what the specific fit problem was. So Doc you are saying that when the axls are scooted into the diff where you would normally drop or push the Cclips onto the end inside, the axles don't go far enough to show the gap for the Clips, or the Cclips are just too wide? Do the provided Clips fit into the slots when the axles are outside the diff.
The funny thing is that the new 8.25" used in the Grand came into use at around the same time the Liberty started using the 8.25 instead of the D35, mid 06 production for the 07 model year., in the Grands.
2000 5.2 WJ

#4 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

View PostNonstop, on Jul 31 2008, 11:22 AM, said:

I have head about this and wondered what the specific fit problem was..

the clip will slide on the axle then you must push the axle out so the clip fits in the pocket of the locker which is to small for the clip

#5 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Jul 31 2008, 10:36 AM, said:

the clip will slide on the axle then you must push the axle out so the clip fits in the pocket of the locker which is to small for the clip

What's the possibility of making the pocket larger instead of the clip smaller?

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:45 AM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Jul 31 2008, 11:12 AM, said:

i was told to grind the clips and it would be my responsibility in the event of a lost axle since i was the one who ground the clip and eaton would not be responsible. it will probably work but it is a huge responsibility for a few $ of profit.

I personally would not grind any clips to make something fit especially inside a diff, even if it works, especially on a C clip axle. :2thumbdown:

If it was my rig I would return the locker and seek another avenue. Some people are different and they would take the chance so I will also say that if I was the installer and the shop, I would make them sign something that when all is working they are basically on their own once they get far enough away from my line of sight. Kind of like what Eaton is telling you. :amazed: Then you can make your few $ in profit and not have the headache or responsibility.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#7 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

why in the heck would anyone want to put a locker in a liberty anyway?!?!?!?!?!?

:2thumbdown:

-dave

#8 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

I would not grind away anything in this case, both parts in question are way to integral to the overall strength of them in combination..

The reason I mentioned the new design for the WK is that the housing is totally different from any other 8.25 and the specific problem mentioned here sounds like there may be a link between them. The new housing is a little wider in some dimension than any previous one, not sure exactly where, no one to my knowledge has put a locker other than the factory one in a WK, actually there isn't one made yet. But I also have never heard of anyone putting a Locker in the KJ with a new style 8.25, so in my opinion they are still ordering the locker for any garden variety 8.25 and saying it will work without having any understanding of the part..

The only way to confirm this that I know of is to find out the differences from the old design to the new one, or whether the KJ got the newer designed housing?
2000 5.2 WJ

#9 User is offline   UTKJinFL 

• Captain

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

A lot of guys out in the Rockies have the ARB locker, but they are all pre 2006 KJs. I am not sure if the manufacturer makes a difference or not.

Anyway, it was great of Dino to spend so much time on this since in reality, he has a business to run and these were not his parts. Everything else he did came out great: 4.10 gears and a DTT up front. I really don't want things chopped up to make them fit so I guess I will fight with 4 WP to get my $600 back.

Thanks Dino for everything...really.

I will call you soon.
MOAB Tested
2006 KJ Turbo Diesel
1997 4Runner w/stuff

#10 User is offline   UTKJinFL 

• Captain

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

I know this does not have anything to do with the topic specifically, but I was able to exchange my locker at 4WP without a problem at all. I told them Dino's story and Adam @ Pompano store completely understood. I got a Power Tank and some PIAA off road lights instead.
MOAB Tested
2006 KJ Turbo Diesel
1997 4Runner w/stuff

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic