• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smilies - Emoticons

#31 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

I think these are great!! Thanks so much to everyone involved. You do great work!

This one is gonna be fun.... :give5: :gay: :poke: too much fun...weeeeeeee
Holly
Yellow 92 YJ, Elvis, I share with LrdJeffson

Jeep...the power of American manufacturing...600,000 Jeeps deployed during WWII...a vehichle that can go anywhere, do anything...it embodies the American spirit!
Stuck happens! :0

"Your winch or mine?"

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."
"The main thing is to keep the main thing as the main thing." ;)

Member of South Florida Jeep Club

#32 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

View PostTombRaiderTim, on Jun 10 2008, 04:43 PM, said:

Yea people will go crazy :2thumup: :) :gun:

I see... in other words you and TallJeep would have to check in at the local hospital. :crutch: So I guess on the fly edit would be best and who cares on making my life simple. I see now who my friends are. :evil:

View PostLulu Smiles, on Jun 10 2008, 05:04 PM, said:

Before I saw that there was some issues with the "show all" while the additions are going on I had a very strange effect happen yesterday at work. All of my working windows in about 5 other programs including the internet browser went haywire. Using ctrl+alt+del didn't help either to stop it. Finally it calmed down and I was able to close up some windows. Could be the dutch computer I work on. :think:

Yes, this is exactly what happens. We have it under control for one window. If I open the back end to try and work with it and I look at the listing in another window it will crash on me. I don't think it will happen to others since they do not open the back end editor or open more than one window listing. Problem I see is that when it reaches a limit, the on line Browsers can not keep up with around 4 Megs of file images into the browsers memory. I tried increasing IE7's cache memory but that would not work. It's all trial and error now.

That or remove some of the smilies and not load any more. :rescue:

Btw, I'm glad all of you like them, does not seem like work if most are happy.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#33 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

fwiw...no problems w/ safari or firefox and os x

-dave

#34 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Jun 10 2008, 07:31 PM, said:

fwiw...no problems w/ safari or firefox and os x

-dave

That is good to know. I don't think IE will have any problems unless I reach the limit of the server file, in that case I'm not sure if Safari or Firefox will also.

Do me a favor, try and load two separate tab windows, not separate windows. Load JT and do the "show all" listing on one of the tab windows, switch to the other tab window and do the same while leaving the others open. Let me know if you crash. I still have to discuss this with Admin but I want to try a few things first.
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#35 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

View PostJim B, on Jun 10 2008, 07:25 PM, said:

That or remove some of the smilies and not load any more. :2thumup:
:think: :) :crutch: :ax: you will definitely have to be rescued :rescue: :gun: :evil:

#36 User is offline   Lulu Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:16 PM

View PostJim B, on Jun 10 2008, 06:39 PM, said:

That is good to know. I don't think IE will have any problems unless I reach the limit of the server file, in that case I'm not sure if Safari or Firefox will also.

Do me a favor, try and load two separate tab windows, not separate windows. Load JT and do the "show all" listing on one of the tab windows, switch to the other tab window and do the same while leaving the others open. Let me know if you crash. I still have to discuss this with Admin but I want to try a few things first.

At work we are on a *cough* Novell network and using an older version of IE (no tabs, only separate windows). They are upgrading, but it will take forever to get to us on this side of the pond.
At home I haven't had any problems yet.
SMILES - former SFJC member - no modifications.
Lulu - Black & Tan German Shepherd - can read: Fun with Lulu, RIP May 25, 2021
Blue - '01 TJ Wrangler Sport - 2.5" lift on 33's sold when I moved to Italy

Frieda - Our first "Jeep" in Italy was a '98 Honda Civic, but Lulu didn't know it was really a car.
Rosie - '11 Jeep Compass Limited

"Well-behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

#37 User is offline   gatordone 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Banned

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

View PostJim B, on Jun 10 2008, 07:39 PM, said:

I have a new g5 mac and run firefox, i have had multiple tabs open at once, then hit the show all (opens in a new window) and it has worked fine! no problems here!
Got to love MACs

#38 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

Well I think the Emoticons were there all along.
The window was hidden behind the JT window :) All the fun I was missing out on :2thumup:

#39 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:33 AM

if i understood what you wanted, everything worked correctly, jim. both safari and firefox...multiple tabs...view all...no issues.

-dave

#40 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

View PostWardie, on Jun 11 2008, 12:32 AM, said:

Well I think the Emoticons were there all along.
The window was hidden behind the JT window :flystraw: All the fun I was missing out on :2thumbdown:

I had a feeling this could have been it, forgot to mention. In some cases when you click on the "show all" the window pops up behind the actual main window so as not to disturb the editor while you are posting, this of course will hide the "show all" window. Happens to me also and I usually move it to the left and leave it open until I'm done reading and posting. Glad you worked it out.

I noticed that most of your problems when something is not working with your computer are your fat fingers. :2thumup: :2thumup: :2thumup:

View PostLrdJeffson, on Jun 11 2008, 07:33 AM, said:

if i understood what you wanted, everything worked correctly, jim. both safari and firefox...multiple tabs...view all...no issues.
-dave

Good to know and thanks for all the Macs reporting in. There seems to be no issues either with IE other than people not knowing how to use features. :2thumup: :banghead:

I usually will add one or two emoticons on the fly on a daily basis if I have time. I added some today.
El Niņo

#41 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:30 AM

Ok, need to know something. I've added most and still have a few more but not many. Doing this slowly when time allows.

I really need everyone's opinion... is the list too long :biggrin1: Do we cut it down :whistle: :grin:

When you use the "show all" is it taking too long for some of you to load with slower internet service :bat: :think:
El Niņo

#42 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

I have high speed Int.--- fat fingers and old birth certificate, still :biggrin1: feeling and going :whistle: Jeeps a little :bat:

#43 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

I think they are great!! Perfect amount for now. We run a mac but have high speed...no problems at all here. Thanks so much for your hard work!! :lazy2:
Holly
Yellow 92 YJ, Elvis, I share with LrdJeffson

Jeep...the power of American manufacturing...600,000 Jeeps deployed during WWII...a vehichle that can go anywhere, do anything...it embodies the American spirit!
Stuck happens! :0

"Your winch or mine?"

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."
"The main thing is to keep the main thing as the main thing." ;)

Member of South Florida Jeep Club

#44 User is offline   HankDz 

• Corporal

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

View PostJim B, on Jun 9 2008, 12:35 PM, said:

Good show. :beer: This saves me a bit of time.

Another question to fix my ignorance. How does one add the emoticon to a posting?

#45 User is offline   Lulu Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:10 PM

View PostHankDz, on Jun 18 2008, 04:37 PM, said:

Another question to fix my ignorance. How does one add the emoticon to a posting?

:beer: Quite simple, when you are in the window to write out your reply there is a smiley face with a drop-down arrow next to him, click that arrow and you will find many of them. You can scroll down to find many more from this quick menu or select "show all" to open a side window that has all of them. Also, underneath your edit box there is a button for toggling the side panel. If it's not already on, give it a try and some smilies and a quick access panel will open on the left. When you find one you like, make sure the cursor is where you want the smiley in the edit box and just click on him/her. :unsure: You can drag him/her around if they got in the wrong spot.

JimB - I had that problem again at work when I opened the "show all" window. This time it wouldn't stop and I had to turn off the computer. Again, I was running about 5-6 programs at once.

Frieda - Our first "Jeep" in Italy was a '98 Honda Civic, but Lulu didn't know it was really a car.

#46 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:12 AM

View PostLulu Smiles, on Jun 18 2008, 09:10 PM, said:

:scratch: Quite simple, when you are in the window to write out your reply there is a smiley face with a drop-down arrow next to him, click that arrow and you will find many of them. You can scroll down to find many more from this quick menu or select "show all" to open a side window that has all of them. Also, underneath your edit box there is a button for toggling the side panel. If it's not already on, give it a try and some smilies and a quick access panel will open on the left. When you find one you like, make sure the cursor is where you want the smiley in the edit box and just click on him/her. :unsure: You can drag him/her around if they got in the wrong spot.

JimB - I had that problem again at work when I opened the "show all" window. This time it wouldn't stop and I had to turn off the computer. Again, I was running about 5-6 programs at once.

That's an easy one, STOP PLAYING ON THE INTERNET AT WORK!!!!! :harhar: :harhar:

#47 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

View PostLulu Smiles, on Jun 18 2008, 09:10 PM, said:

Last week I smoked a peace pipe with Admin about resources, trying to understand how all this works especially with what I'm doing with these emoticons since it is the first time for me tackling something like this and did not want to blow up JT while doing it. For some reason people get edgy when they don't see JT come up. :bat: :unsure:

JeepTalk has plenty or resources and it can handle anything we throw at it. :harhar: The problem that you are having is not from JT it is from your local computer. The "show all" has so many on the list that it will physically load all of them in your cache and memory ready for you to use as you are editing or creating a post. If you have too many IE windows open it could lock up. I found that the easiest way to get it back instead of shutting down your computer is to bring up the task manager and close the applications that are in question.

Even though I have a descent desktop with resources which allows me to have a few tabs and windows open, I noticed that when I'm working with the emoticon list in the back end I can not have the front end of JT open at the same time otherwise my browser will lock up. I really believe it is an IE issue from Microsoft. :harhar:

On another note I've heard that the Firefox browser is handling the multiple windows very well (so is IE). However I have not tested the back end with the front end open because I do not have Firefox. Maybe if someone that uses Firefox can open up several windows and several "show all" windows to see how it responds and report back. Again, this is a resource handling issue at the local computer not JT. I can almost bet on it that it is an IE issue and not the computer in being able to handle the cache. There is a setting btw that you can increase this in IE.

What we can do to accommodate users with lower resources or using IE is to cut down the emoticon list by 1/2. We would have some red Xs for the ones that were used in the postings but I'm sure the Moderators can get rid of those as they see them. Can someone provide a total count on the "show all" list. We can remove 1/2 of them. You can also download Firefox for free and use it instead of IE to see how it works out. It will transfer all you favorites that you have saved.

If anyone has anything to add to this lets hear it as it can only help other users. Let me know if you wish to nuke 1/2 of the list. :scratch:
El Niņo

#48 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:04 AM

Can you make 2 pages of smilies ? In that way you'll have 1/2 on the smilies that we have right now on each page and we won't loose any of them

:scratch:

#49 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:24 AM

View PostTallJeep, on Jun 19 2008, 09:04 AM, said:

Can you make 2 pages of smilies ? In that way you'll have 1/2 on the smilies that we have right now on each page and we won't loose any of them

:scratch:

This will require time and custom code, we can actually lose the work on the next big JT software update that is coming at the end of the year. Right now we don't have the funds to do this.

There is so much custom code that Admin has wrote in addition to the actual forum software to make things fun and easy for everyone that every time there is a maintenance or an upgrade from the ground up all of the custom edits have to be added to files that have changed.
El Niņo

#50 User is offline   Lulu Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

View PostJim B, on Jun 19 2008, 08:02 AM, said:

If you have too many IE windows open it could lock up. I found that the easiest way to get it back instead of shutting down your computer is to bring up the task manager and close the applications that are in question.

On another note I've heard that the Firefox browser is handling the multiple windows very well (so is IE).

What we can do to accommodate users with lower resources or using IE is to cut down the emoticon list by 1/2.

Crtl+alt=del didn't work when I tried it the other day. :scratch:
As for Firefox, we can't download new programs like that at work or we're not supposed to. So I can't give any feedback from how it works at that computer.
Don't delete any emoticons! :unsure: I don't need to use them that badly at work. I usually wait until I'm home to post anyway. :harhar:

#51 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

if i install a smiley in my post my smiley box freezes for a long time. ( not always just at times) does any one else have this issue or is it just my old computer. i have noticed if i click the bottom of my screen hide the smiley box and click it again to un-hide the smiley box, it will not be frozen. whats up :amazed: it just happend :2thumup:

#52 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Aug 28 2008, 08:05 PM, said:

if i install a smiley in my post my smiley box freezes for a long time. ( not always just at times) does any one else have this issue or is it just my old computer. i have noticed if i click the bottom of my screen hide the smiley box and click it again to un-hide the smiley box, it will not be frozen. whats up :amazed: it just happend :2thumup:

Keep in mind that the smiley box has many, it takes time to load especially with old and slower computers. Rule of thumb is either type the code in yourself or see if the emoticon that you need is in the smaller box. When you open the larger box that will show all do not choose, wait until they all load. You can see this by scrolling down as they begin to show. Once the all show leave it open and choose or just write the code.

Now to decipher your message:
You mentioned that you installed an emoticon on your post, how did you do this.

Where did you click on the bottom of the screen, not sure what you are seeing.

Admin

#53 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

View PostAdmin, on Aug 28 2008, 08:13 PM, said:

Keep in mind that the smiley box has many, it takes time to load especially with old and slower computers. Rule of thumb is either type the code in yourself or see if the emoticon that you need is in the smaller box. When you open the larger box that will show all do not choose, wait until they all load. You can see this by scrolling down as they begin to show. Once the all show leave it open and choose or just write the code.

yes i have done it this way and it works fine

View PostAdmin, on Aug 28 2008, 08:13 PM, said:

Now to decipher your message:
You mentioned that you installed an emoticon on your post, how did you do this.

i clicked the emotion box then chose show all

View PostAdmin, on Aug 28 2008,n chouse 08:13 PM, said:

Where did you click on the bottom of the screen, not sure what you are seeing.

to the right of the green "start"

if i open the show all and scroll down immediately the smiles do not show but the text does. (i know it is a big file and takes time to load) if i click the text i want, that is when it freezes. if i click next to the "start" and hide the window then open it again, no waiting. i am very impatient, sorry

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic