Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reply with Quotes

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

I've noticed this lately and I wanted to make mention of this.

When some of you reply to a post or create quoted text inside a post I noticed that quite a few members here are having one, two or more spaces or carriage returns below the quoted text.

There is really no need for this as it really takes up space making your reply longer. It's no biggy if there is only a few replies to the topic, but when the topic gets long it helps on the scroll and the number of pages on the topic. Not to mention the format.

I start my reply right underneath the quote with no spaces. JT seems to add a space automatically. So if I add one or even two spaces it makes it even more.

Example:
[quote]I start my reply right underneath the quote with no spaces.  JT seems to add a space automatically.  So if I add one or even two spaces it makes it even more. [/quote]
I start typing right underneath.

Try it and preview your reply before you post it and you will see what I mean. Some of you may say who cares... of well, I gave my reasons above.

I also noticed that people are quoting a post that has like 1,2,4,5+ pictures in it. If you need to quote text in that post do so but remove the picture links. Is there really a need to re-quote and re-quote with all the repetition of these pictures. :banghead: Just a thought. :serenade:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

Guilty :toilet: I'll try to do better :beer:
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:57 PM

Ya, & one more thing if U support JT w/a gallery/Premium membership he won't have to get out of his rocking chair to make these posts :beer:

No, really, I just edit & leave what info I want to answer etc. Makes it short & sweet.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

Actually I've seen some Moderators edit and delete the spaces on some of these.

When I moderate the JOM forum I do this some times and also take out the quoted and quoted and quoted and quoted pictures. :toilet: :beer:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#5 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:21 PM

when you moderate jom do you reply to people who pm you with serious question about jom? you know what i mean.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:37 PM

View Postsoflmuddin, on May 23 2008, 11:21 PM, said:

when you moderate jom do you reply to people who pm you with serious question about jom? you know what i mean.

No I don't know what you mean. Care to give us an example of a JOM serious question.
El Niņo

#7 User is offline   gatordone 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Posted Imagesoflmuddin Posted Image View Member Profile Posted Image Remove Friend Posted Image Send Message Posted Image Add to PM block list Posted Image Forward PM Posted Image Find Member's Topics Posted Image Find Member's Posts ipsmenu.register( "post-member-2489", '', 'popmenubutton-new', 'popmenubutton-new-out' ); jom questions, May 15 2008, 01:04 AM

Master Sergeant
Posted Image

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,489

Posted Image
jim not trying to be rude, but is jeep of the month a popularity contest? not mad my pic didn't make it, but the one i thought wouldn't make it made it. don't know milesaway but the picture is clearly out of focus. you being a photo guy surly could see that. i saw he got good feed back from people on that trip, but others dont know the story behind it. did he roll over or something? the other one is the pic you altered, seths, there was question of whether it was his jeep and it was never adressed. not that we could prove it but as moderator shouldn't you inquire about it as that is minimal requirements for jom? also what was wrong with bigdaddys entry, it surly was unique, when was the last time you had a jeep buggy with the grill still intact post for jom? pm-ing you as not to put you on the spot. would like to know what you look for so other jom entries are more likely to get picked.

this is a copy of the pm i sent to you.ive talk to seth since and he told me that he did indeed own the jeep for a month. didnt figure it was to hard for you to answer that.

#8 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

JOTM Guidelines Maybe this will help clear some things up.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#9 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:12 PM

View PostRollbar, on May 24 2008, 12:10 AM, said:

JOTM Guidelines Maybe this will help clear some things up.

i read them thats why i had a direct question to the moderator. but got no return.
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#10 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

View Postsoflmuddin, on May 24 2008, 12:12 AM, said:

i read them thats why i had a direct question to the moderator. but got no return.

answer his post please :scratch:

#11 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:26 PM

Gatordone,

First of all I never got a PM such as this. Try and read the JOM Guidelines which I do go by. Read especially the criteria, just because a photo is a bit our of focus does not eliminate the other criterias. Look at the entries you are talking about and tell me what the jeeps are doing..... pictures are not 3D and they are not movies.

Second, Seth was questioned about this Jeep which he stated to me that he drove it for a year, that was plenty good for me and none of your business because it was actualy a PM and I'm already giving you too much explanation which is not needed.

Third, if you look at the past entries (all the way to when JOM started) you will see that I'm very fair in what I pick... forget the popularity contest, anyone that knows me knows that I don't play favorites when it comes to competition. And if you bother to read the JOM guidelines and look at past entries.... modified pics are acceptable.

Fourth, my decision is final, read the JOM guidelines, if you don't agree with something I can't help you and you can argue about it all day long to whoever you wish.

Fifth, I don't determine the winner out of 5 photos, everyone here on JT does.

Sixth, what in the heck is your first paragraph on your post all about. :whistle:

Last, let's not get away on what this topic is originally about. If you or Soflmuddin have any more questions on this you can PM me because I will have anything that does not apply with this topic deleted.

Btw, Soflmuddin, I see that one of your postings on here with regards to reply to quotes are doing just exactly the opposite as to my suggestion on the first post. :scratch:
El Niņo

#12 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:41 PM

look i pm you origanally and you did not answer. i figured that if you were called opon it you would say you never got it. thats why i set a copy to my wife to make sure there was no problem. i know you have the final word and thats why i didnt want to put you on the spot. all you had to do is answer me. i never questioned alterd pics. seth is a good guy and if you let everyone know it was his jeep he would have done better in the vote. the post is the exact way as it show on gaterdone's pm page, i copied from that. and you can see the date it was sent.

#13 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:02 AM

View Postsoflmuddin, on May 24 2008, 12:41 AM, said:

i know you have the final word and thats why i didnt want to put you on the spot.

Don't worry yourself. :scratch:

all you had to do is answer me.

I really do not have to.

i never questioned alterd pics. seth is a good guy and if you let everyone know it was his jeep he would have done better in the vote.

You don't know this and are speculating. If it made the vote than it stands to reason that it was a qualified Jeep, no need to tell anyone. Ask Seth, I even fixed his picture to look better, take a look at the entry topic.

I've been away for a few days and you have no clue how many people write to me. I might not answer right away but I answer everyone.

And by the way... who knows you could have sent your question and I never got it so that is a possibility also but...

View Postsoflmuddin, on May 23 2008, 11:21 PM, said:

do you reply to people who pm you with serious question about jom?

By reading what you wrote I really don't consider this a serious question since the JOM guidelines pretty much explains it all, nevertheless I would have replied probably referring you to the JOM guidelines.

You continue to post on this issue. Let's just say that you now have my answer. Next time you don't agree with who makes it to the final five or not, read the JOM guidelines that I go by. I am hoping that you personally keep on entering JOM and don't let this discussion get in the way, many that don't make the final 5 or lose on the vote continue to try and that is what it's all about. I see nice pics all the time and wonder why they do not enter. The same goes for the total of count on the votes.

The next off topic post on here will be deleted and a warning placed on JT accounts, I've PMd Admin on this already but he is probably sleeping and so will I after this. Again you can PM me and I would be happy to tell you how it is. Better yet, click on my email url signature link.
El Niņo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic