Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Washdown Pump

#1 User is offline   offroadpete 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:44 AM

Alright guys, I got a good one for ya here, assuming no one has posted anything else about it. I dont know about most of you, but i get alot of crap from the neighbors when i bring my truck home after a good ole day of wheeling. Its impossible to clean all the mud that falls off your truck. So, I came up with a sort of conclusion. My boat has a washdown pump. Its a pump that sucks out water from (dont laugh) a sea cock, thats under the boat and transfers it into whats looks very much like a garden hose. btw it has garden hose fittings. I really wish I took a picture but I havnt actually mounted the set up yet.

Heres a pic of what it looks like though.

Posted Image

So anyways. Im letting you all know that this is a great tool for washing your rig. Now it aint no pressure cleaner, but it will give you a constant source of water flow with a decent amount of pressure. Enough pressure to get all those big chunks of mud out I promise you that. When you combine it with some degreaser and a telescoping brush, you can have your rig spotless in no time. Theres no clean up afterwards, no sidewalks to pressure wash, no mud to shovel up, no neighbors or parents to get mad at you. Just put the pump back in the rig and leave.

Now for those of you that will actually do this let me give you a few tips.
1. its not cheap, the 3.8GPM pump was $115, the 50ft Coil hose with nozzle was $39, 20ft of clear tubing was $18, misc eletrical supplies (aligator clips, wire, tie wraps) $15
2. If you do it, shove out the extra $20 and get the 4.4GPM pump, I wish I did.
3. Dont think this will mount some where high. I Wanted to mount it in my bumper but the pump was too week to suck in the water that high. The pump has to be close and almost the same level of the water source.
4. Make sure your pump came with a strainer, mine did.
5. If when you turn the pump on no water is going in, pull the trigger on the jet nozzle to release the air trapped in the lines. Just keep holding water will show up in about a minute then you get a full flow going.
6. Get a telescoping brush with a water connect on it. My method of cleaning was A. rinse the big chunks, B. cover in degreaser, C. Brush with the water flowing through, D. Rinse, E. Dry, if you wish....

My .02 cents, if any of you know a cheaper route (other then a bucket :scratch: ) let us know.
Check out HomegrownOffroad.com for all your offroad needs

Under Construction, estimated completion date, June '09

#2 User is offline   nero004 

• Captain

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

washing a jeep??? whats that?? just take it to the closest self car wash and for $2 you can pressure clean all the major mud off the jeep, the rest you can do @ home
Official Mall Crawler

#3 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

Good idea offroadpete! The little flowjet pumps are pretty good. I put two on our swamp buggy one for wash down and to rinse a deer after field dressing and another for the automatic dog waterers. I used a piece of 10" PVC to make a water tank. Thanks for sharing. They are also good for washing hands in the field, wet "T" shirt contest :welcome: etc.
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#4 User is offline   92jeepyj 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

sounds cool as ive been told not to come back to the local 2 doller car wash by the owner who just happon to drive by as i wheeled in and started blasting mud everywhere....opps
yj 350sbc what eles i got to say. ever stuck in corbit call me ill come get u just ask for gas money. 56one 768 one8oneone

#5 User is offline   offroadpete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:12 AM

i got tired of always going to this carwash places like a 1am, i always felt bad when they were looking at me with the evil eye...
Check out HomegrownOffroad.com for all your offroad needs

Under Construction, estimated completion date, June '09

#6 User is offline   TazTJ 

• Master Sergeant
  • View gallery

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:41 AM

I don't see a problem washing the toys...just wait for a storm to come :lol: . That only happens every afternoon :biggrin1: . Plus we have Gustav and Hanna to thank this time :lol:. :lol: :lol:

Ok if there is no rain and you really want to piss off people in the community just drive into the community's lake for a nice self bathe :lol: :lol: :amazed: .
"And it comes to be that the soothing light is a freight train coming their way" Metallica

99 TJ
6 Drums & a Stick
4.5" Zone
33x12.5x15 on A/R

#7 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

Here is basically the same thing in a box, I see kits like this once in a while at West Marine or especially at Bass Pro on special for right around $99. The point about the pump needing to be at or around the level of the water can be a pain, and also a reason to mount all the goodies in a box with fittings so you can basically tote it close to the water source, but that makes it a little less efficient. The idea of going up to a 4.0 GPM or above is a good one, both for pressure and utility, some of the better pumps have more than a 10ft self priming action and may get the water to the pump easier.

Posted Image
Kit

4.3gpm $121

I have had a pair of Surflo pumps on the boat and like the quality of them so I might spend the extra cash on them.

I'd like to see some other ideas on this, I haven't googled it but I remember somoe of the guys outwest had these things running dual purpose, wash down with a pressure regulator or something for using them as a shower from 5 gallon jugs...There has to be many uses besides just wash down right??
2000 5.2 WJ

#8 User is offline   WRider 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

This one'sa pretty nice idea...
This could let you clean your rig anytime anywhere...
Found this 2 Cool Jeep Parts Sites Mobile Electronics and Off Road Products

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic