• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

M416 Custom Trailer Not a MIL SPEC Rebuild

#1 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

Okay so I picked-up an old M416 trailer while in GA. It has been converted to a 2" ball and has no lights, safety chains and the plugs are rusted pretty bad. It is so far gone, that I don't mind customizing it. So for the die hard military restoring people out there, please don't get mad at me. This will be a customized trailer to match my CJ7. I want a trailer to store and haul our camping gear. It will not be rebuilt to perfection, but I will use quality paint and hardware.
Here is what it looked like after I got it home.

Posted Image

First order of business was to tear it down.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next we ordered some humvee lights, seals bearings and I am waiting to hear back on the brake handle. I will be going with a standard trailer jack that is removable.
While waiting on parts we sandblased the frame and cut the crap off the front a-frame and replaced it with a wide plate that will accomodate a custom dry box.

Posted Image

After cleaning-up the brakes and replacing needed parts including bearings and seals. we spot primed and painted some. We Phos treated everything to try and get to any rust that the sand missed. Now it was time for the DP90 epoxy primer. So we picked the windiest day in April to do this :whistle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

We applied three coats let it sit a day, sanded and put one more coat. We also sandblasted the wheels and painted them metalic silver base coat/clear coat.
I'll get pictures of the wheels up later. Right now I am waiting on a spot at the monument makers sandblaster to blast the tub. It would take entirely to long with our little blaster. We color shot my CJ7 for the base coat/clear coat match. We completed the fenders and the color is very close to my Jeep. I'll post more as we move along. There are more pictures in my albums under m416 if anyone is interested.
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

Cool, can't wait to see teh finished product.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:12 AM

Looking good. Can't wait to see it finished.
Help A Fellow Jeeper Out!
Jake Info Donations To Assist Show Your Support
SFJC and 50/50 Offroad Team

#4 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

Here's a few more pictures.

Wheels
Posted Image

The new lights. Trying to decide on black or color match w/the tub?
Posted Image

The tub is in progress. We sealed the drains with epoxy filler and sheet aluminum. I will be installing small pipes to accomidate boat plugs just in case it gets water in it.
Posted Image

Added some new monroe shocks that were book replacements for a CJ5. They have a longer stroke than the stock units, but my wife said it would be okay :2thumup:
Posted Image

The new jack which will be installed after replacing the tub. I also want to paint it black.
Posted Image

Here are the fenders after painting. They have to wait a while before a wet sand and buffing. The weather wasn't the best for painting, so we have a little orange peel :biggrin1:

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's about it for now. If anyone has any artistic or creative ideas I'd like to hear them.
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#5 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

Hum, black would look cool w/the lights. The lens color & the light housing color if U color matched it might clash, I've been watching the home network w/Martha Stewart :wave:

P.S. If your Jeep can't pull it then I think my CJ will :2thumup: :) :biggrin1: :2thumup: :sneak:

#6 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:17 PM

View PostRollbar, on Apr 28 2008, 10:11 PM, said:

Hum, black would look cool w/the lights. The lens color & the light housing color if U color matched it might clash, I've been watching the home network w/Martha Stewart :2thumup:

Agreed! I was hoping to go red cause I'm out of dp90. I'm going to have a fortune in paint :biggrin1:

#7 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

View PostRollbar, on Apr 28 2008, 10:11 PM, said:

Hum, black would look cool w/the lights. The lens color & the light housing color if U color matched it might clash, I've been watching the home network w/Martha Stewart :rof:

P.S. If your Jeep can't pull it then I think my CJ will :wave: :) :2thumup: :2thumup: :sneak:

On the P.S. :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :biggrin1:

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

We finally got started again. Completed painting lights, fuel can, fuel can carrier, jack and outer tub. Still need to linex the tub, install safety chains and complete wiring. Then I can get started on the top. Remember I said it wouldn't be perfect? Well it is actually coming out better than expected. I think someone turned two monkeys with sledge hammers loose in it before I got it. My buddy and his tow teenage boys have put a great deal of time into this thing, but there is only so much you can afford to put into a trailer.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

Here's the current condition: The rear of the trailer. I still have to mount the ID plate, license plate and reflectors.

Posted Image

Here's the right front corner without the fuel can. I used polished SS allen head cap screws/bolts. I will be adding some diamond plate in the near future as well.

Posted Image

Here's a picture with the fuel can, but no strap.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:11 PM

Acouple more shots.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can't wait to get back in town to work on it some more. Hopefully I can get the Linex done this week. I'm ready to try it out behind the CJ7 :biggrin1:

#11 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:48 PM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEettttttttttttttttttttt

Now I have to paint my Jeep the same color if I wany to use it :wave: :2: :biggrin1:

Very, very, nice.

#12 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

Rollbar you can use it anytime regardless of color. :biggrin1:

#13 User is offline   LostJ 

• Major
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

nice!
i like the color :banghead:
74' CJ5
00' TJ
86' BLONDE

#14 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:42 PM

View PostSodMan, on Apr 28 2008, 10:51 PM, said:

Posted Image

man that's a pretty thing (the trailer too!). now we need a pic of the trailer tied to the mistress! nice job...it looks great!!!

-dave

#15 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

I'll tie it to the mistress after I get the Diamond plate alluminum on it. Thanks for the complements.
By the way, does anyone know if there is a pop rivet that is flat on both sides of the attachment? I want the inside of the tub to be as smooth as possible. The only rivets I have; will leave a pin on the inside of the tub.

#16 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:10 PM

Only thing I can think of is aircraft bolts/nuts. Some of the ones they use maybe like you want. Check around. Also check on-line under the word
Fasteners.

#17 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:15 PM

View PostRollbar, on May 5 2008, 09:10 PM, said:

Only thing I can think of is aircraft bolts/nuts. Some of the ones they use maybe like you want. Check around. Also check on-line under the word Fasteners.

I thought I had seen them before. It seems like I've seen them on the bottom of air boats. Like when they put the kevlar on the bottom. maybe in aircraft too. I'll check the net.
Thanks, J. Brown

#18 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

The trailer is looking great. I am hoping to start painting mine sometime this week. Keep the pictures coming.

Where did you get the lights from? I may consider putting those on mine.

#19 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:13 AM

Russells JEEP PARTS in Bainbridge GA. I can get you the #. I have a new brake handle waiting on me. I just need to send a money order to have them send it to me. I haven't completed the wiring yet. I want the bottom light on the tail lights wired in with a set of rock lights on a rocker switch inside the Jeep. I just need some time to work on it.

#20 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

It's all about the time. I am dying to get mine done but have been pulled away for some jeeping over this past weekend up in Citrus, so I lost three or four days. I am going to try to get mine painted by the end of this weekend. The number for the lights would be nice. I'll be posting pictures as I finish mine up.

Looks great!

#21 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

Wow!!!! :amazed: the trailer is looking great JB....... :2thumup: It will look even better behind the CJ.

Wildbill :beer:
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

#22 User is offline   Safari Outfitter 

• Colonel

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:37 AM

Great job. You should post some of the pictures on this site:

Groups.msn.com / M416

#23 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

View Postsmokey, on May 5 2008, 11:33 PM, said:

The trailer is looking great. I am hoping to start painting mine sometime this week. Keep the pictures coming.

The number for JEEP PARTS is 229 377 1528
The guys name is Russell. He has some cool stuff on his lot. I would like to have the Humvee he has sitting there. Only problem is I would get tired of Jeeps pulling me out of the bogg :2thumup: Russell has just about anything military you could ask for. Jim B. and Rollbar would go nuts in his shop.

#24 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

1. Got a web site?
2. I got my stuff from John @ MidWest Military

I took the light apart to look @ it, notice the rubber mounts :ya:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

View PostRollbar, on May 6 2008, 08:55 PM, said:

1. Got a web site?
2. I got my stuff from John @ MidWest Military

I took the light apart to look @ it, notice the rubber mounts :good:

No web site available.
No one seemed to notice that I originally painted the fenders garnet and changed them to black.
We wired the lights last night. I also added a set of rear rock lights that will be wired to a rocker switch on my dash. Ever try backing a trailer in the woods at night? I'll try and get more pictures up tonight.
It is scheduled for linex in the morning :2thumup: :welcome:
Tonight the safety chains go on and some heat shrink on the final wire couplings.
Next week the Diamond plate and hopefully have the tarp made.

#26 User is offline   litoo7 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

Very Nice Job! How long did it take you to do the whole restore?
97 TJ- 4" Lift - 35" MT Baja Claw - 12k MileMarker Winch - More too come!

#27 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

I purchased the trailer on April 9th. One week of planning, so about 4 weekends and 6or7 evenings. I'm not done yet. I still have to get the Linex sprayed, cut and attach diamond plate, build bow system for tarp and have a tarp made to fit. I am thinking about fabricating a reese hitch and designing a BBQ grill that will plug into the back. I would be able to remove it and haul it in the trailer.

#28 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

I will be picking up the M416 trailer from Linex in the morning. Here's a few more pics of things completed. Wiring, rock lights/backup lights, ID tag and straped fuel tank.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

How do U say,

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeettt

#30 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

View PostRollbar, on May 9 2008, 09:40 PM, said:

How do U say,
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeettt

I'm getting excited now :naughty: At least I can drag it now, even if the top and diamond plate aren't ready. I accidently deleted the picture with both rock lights. We tried them out last knight. Prety trick. I'm installing them under my Jeep next.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic