Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

For hard to Open Tailgate Squeeeekkkk

#1 User is offline   76shovel 

• Private
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

I lubed it with WD-40, white lithium grease, CRC and every other kind of lube I could find. No change at all. I also used a square to check allignment of hinges. Checked out square, plum, parrellel and every thing else.

I was talking to my brother inlaw and he told me he had some stuff that might fix it.

It's called PB blaster. We sprayed it on moved the tailgate back and forth, sprayed some more on and then it broke loose. Works like new now.

#2 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

PB Blaster is the best. Rusted nuts, frozen hinges, it penetrates where no other penetrating oils will.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#3 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

View PostJeepinIan, on Apr 8 2008, 11:49 AM, said:

PB Blaster is the best. Rusted nuts, frozen hinges, it penetrates where no other penetrating oils will.

X2..... I don't use anything else. I usually keep a small can in the YJ in case of emergencies :obsessed:

Wildbill :biggrin1:
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

#4 User is offline   freeswimmin 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

View Post76shovel, on Apr 7 2008, 10:37 PM, said:

I lubed it with WD-40, white lithium grease, CRC and every other kind of lube I could find. No change at all. I also used a square to check allignment of hinges. Checked out square, plum, parrellel and every thing else.

I was talking to my brother inlaw and he told me he had some stuff that might fix it.

It's called PB blaster. We sprayed it on moved the tailgate back and forth, sprayed some more on and then it broke loose. Works like new now.

great product! but make sure you lube hinges back up again in a couple of days (prefer white lithium myself) to keep it from happening again.
Also, NEVER use WD-40 for a "lubricant"... it actually breaks down the greases and after wear/evaporation, will make the situation worse. Good product for the correct application, but lubing isn't one of them!

my $0.02! :obsessed:
i started out with nothing... and through years of hard work and perseverance still have most of it left! :~D

#5 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

View Postfreeswimmin, on Apr 8 2008, 03:43 PM, said:

great product! but make sure you lube hinges back up again in a couple of days (prefer white lithium myself) to keep it from happening again.
Also, NEVER use WD-40 for a "lubricant"... it actually breaks down the greases and after wear/evaporation, will make the situation worse. Good product for the correct application, but lubing isn't one of them!

my $0.02! :obsessed:

i totally agree! even b'laster isn't a "lubricant"...it's a "penetrating catalyst". it's designed to be more like a breaker bar in a can. once you have the stuck "unstuck", you'll still need to lubricate it to keep it from happening again. you'll find a can in the truck box and the shed. i used to use it in one of my former hobbies as an adhesive remover...works great!
Posted Image

-dave

#6 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

You all are right in that it is not a lubricant. What do you think about dry graphite instead of oil or grease. Both of those will attract and hold dirt in the hinge.
Ian Stewart

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#7 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

I like graphite for key holes and such, for hinges it gets messy, if you want a dry film lubricant PB also makes a one for that purpose excactly... It is usually not in that many stores, but some marine store carry it.. Awesom stuff great film strength and no mess at all, can use it on plastic too..
2000 5.2 WJ

#8 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

View PostNonstop, on Apr 8 2008, 09:08 PM, said:

I like graphite for key holes and such, for hinges it gets messy, if you want a dry film lubricant PB also makes a one for that purpose excactly... It is usually not in that many stores, but some marine store carry it.. Awesom stuff great film strength and no mess at all, can use it on plastic too..

getting harder to find! i get it at the local "new Jersey auto parts" store...which...i might say...is one of the few useful things i've ever seen come out of new jersey!

Posted Image

-dave
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

That did it country boy.. :tongue1: I know another great thing that came out of New Jersey. Posted Image Don't forget who won.. :rolleyes:

How do you like the light bulb above you, remember the phonograph, the grand daddy of your CD player, yup Menlo Park, some guy name Edison.. General Electric, founded by who, him, where NJ,
New Jersey is home to more intellectuals, Inventors, and influential people than the entire south.. look at the history of inventions with a dramatic change in our countries hitstory and where they came from, it ain't the south.. Princeton Plasma Phyisiscs lab, Cetner for Advanded study, ugh some dude lived in a house I used to pass every day going to work, think his name was Einstien, they didn't bring him to a southern University, why, they wanted to change the world, :tongue1: not grow some tobacco.. Posted Image
2000 5.2 WJ

#10 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:17 PM

View PostNonstop, on Apr 8 2008, 09:12 PM, said:

That did it country boy.. I know another great thing that came out of New Jersey. Don't forget who won..

W A R N I N G

country BOY?!?!?!? Please feel again and repost.

as to edison...i can assure you that the man is rolling over in his grave if he can see what his company evolved into. reminds me of a similar company out of arkansas...but that's another story. and then there's that big hair thing.....nevermind. though i see your point...you did give us bon jovi :rolleyes:

-dave

: : : waits for post to be edited / deleted : : :

#11 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:54 PM

OK big hair, no argument there, but dude, give me something other than good music, Jerry Lee Lewis style family antics, and beautiful scenery that the south has on the North. And as far as music goes, we have plenty, Perry Como a Pennsy boy..
Dang that was a fast edit!
2000 5.2 WJ

#12 User is offline   TiredPete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:36 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but Edison was born in Ohio and grew up in Michigan. Edison Electric Light Company (later renamed to GE) was formed in 1878 in NYC. Albert Einstein, born in Germany, Nobel Prize 1921, moved to Princeton in 1933. Just because a cat has kittens in the oven that doesn't make them biscuits.

Pete

#13 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

The mass of Edison's creativity was born in New Jersey, Einsteins study at the Center was the specific reason that his mysterious ramblings came together, not taking credit for their birth but for the coming together of their most important contributions to this world, the people that where also in New Jersey at the time, the ones that made the furthering of their abilities possible, where also mostly from other places. You can look at it like importing the goods, or that the environment they where given in the state was so rich in possibilities that it happened there...

Most of the biggest names in science, math, philosophy, where offered a spot at Princeton to become part of the largest think tanks in history. Without New Jersey's role in history, you would be making your cigarettes in the dark.. Just look at the type of inventions or changes that are part of NJ history, then compare it to the best of the southern "learning institutions" and dispute the facts.. this is a crude way of stating it, not intended to offer that much, but the fact that New Jersey is seen as a stinky garden state, is not without Merritt, if you have ever landed at Newark, no one can blame you, but if you look into the type of things that have had a lasting impact on the world, not just sports or simple living, the state stands out with it's role in history far more than most.. And we have the Giants

Just the first ones that came up

Born in New Jersey has..

Lloyd Conover
Lloyd Conover invented the antibiotic* tetracycline, which became the most prescribed broad spectrum antibiotic in the United States within three years - National Inventors Hall of Fame.

William Edward Hanford and Donald Fletcher Holmes invented the process for making the multipurpose material polyurethane

Born in North Carolina...

Pepsi Cola
Caleb Bradham of New Bern, North Carolina was a pharmacist. Like many pharmacists at the turn of the century he had a soda fountain in his drugstore, where he served his customers refreshing drinks, that he created himself. His most popular beverage was something he called "Brad's drink" made of carbonated water, sugar, vanilla, rare oils, pepsin and cola nuts.
Puckle Gun - 1718

In 1718, James Puckle of London, England, demonstrated his new invention, the "Puckle Gun," a tripod-mounted, single-barreled flintlock gun fitted with a multishot revolving cylinder. This weapon fired nine shots per minute at a time when the standard soldier's musket could be loaded and fired but three times per minute. Puckle demonstrated two versions of the basic design. One weapon, intended for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets, while the second variant, designed to be used against the Muslim Turks, fired square bullets, which were believed to cause more severe and painful wounds than spherical projectiles.

Chester Greenwood was born in Farmington, Maine in 1858. A grammar school dropout, he invented earmuffs at the age of 15 (1873). While testing a new pair of ice skates, he grew frustrated at trying to protect his ears from the bitter cold. After wrapping his head in a scarf, which was too bulky and itchy, he made two ear-shaped loops from wire and asked his grandmother to sew fur on them. He patented an improved model with a steel band which held them in place and with Greenwood's Champion Ear Protectors, he established Greenwood's Ear Protector Factory. He made a fortune supplying Ear Protectors to U.S. soldiers during World War I. He went on to patent more many other inventions. In 1977, Maine's legislature declared December 21 "Chester Greenwood Day" to honor a native son and his contribution to cold weather protection.

Other than the fact that New Jersey Rocks, this is just a joke...
but right now I'm so delirious what do I know..
2000 5.2 WJ

#14 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

Keep on topic.
Ian Stewart

Zig Ziglar

John Stuart Mill

#15 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

View PostJeepinIan, on Apr 9 2008, 12:45 PM, said:

Keep on topic.

You beat me to it Ian............ How did a thread on a stuck door hinge turn into a history lesson about inventions and inventors that came out of NJ :2thumup: :nono:

Wildbill :2thumup:
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic