JEEPTALK.net: Market Place Category - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Market Place Category

Poll: Market Place Category (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Option Do JT Members Think are Best?

1. Be Able To Delete the Topic (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

2. Be Able To Edit Subject Title (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Both Delete Topic & Edit Subject (20 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

4. Neither, Leave as it is Now (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

Market Place Category

We are thinking of a Custom modification to the Market place Category which is where all of the 3 For Sale/Wanted Forums reside.

The modification would allow the Topic starter (only) to delete his own topic once the item is sold. Same goes for the Wanted section if the Member already found what he was looking for. We would expect Members to keep this up to date and clean up after their own.

Or instead of the above we can allow the Subject title to be changed by the Topic Starter (only) to note that the item sold or changed as long as the subject is not too long.

We can do one or the other or both, not sure yet.

This will allow to keep the Market place section a bit cleaner and easier for Members on the hunt to be able to spot items that are still active rather than to read through a post only to find out that the item was sold or no longer wanted.

We would like to have some feedback as to what Members think or if it is even worth doing at all.

Thank you,
Admin

#2 User is offline   Rayne 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

I know..I know..we are not supposed to just vote, we are supposed to leave input too...I voted for delete and edit topic. It would narrow down what is still wanted and still for sale...Once an item is no longer available, it should be taken down..and it will save bandwidth...laugh...
laugh......happy now.....I promise to play nice....
Good people means my flashlight will NEVER go missing...

#3 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

Thank you for your input.

In this particular case bandwidth is not the problem as JeepTalk has tons, one of the reasons that Gallery members never see red Xs on their photos that they post all over the net.

We believe that it would benefit Members in obtaining the information that they are looking for a bit faster in the Market Place rather than to go through so many topics only to find out that the item is no longer available or needed.

Admin

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

What do U have 500gig :2thumup:

I voted to delete the topic since the seller knows when it sold, there is no need to edit it "Marked as Sold" then delete it. Just do it all in one shot, it may take an extra day but in the end it's all the same, - Deleted.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#5 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

I chose both as some people list multiple items or wants to change the price that may be in the topic line.

If everything in that particular listing has been sold, then it needs to be deleted.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#6 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

I chose neither. I like to go back sometimes and research how much something might have sold for so I know what I can sell something for or know what somethings worth. Also you can check to see if the person who bought it still has it and if they want to sell it.

But im just a pack rat and never throw anything away.
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#7 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

We would expect Members to keep this up to date and clean up after their own.

Can the above actually work?

If we were to Custom modified both scenarios, would you want to try one out first and then the other to see which one works best....

Between all the Moderators, we will be able to police this to get the JT Members use to all of this which will actually benefit the section?
We can also modify the guidelines of the actual forum.

I'm thinking not to show the Guidelines because that I have notice that not too many read them but rather create another custom Modification in where the guidelines show above the editing screen while one is actually writing the post. We can also do this in the Let's go Wheeling and Happening section. (this is actually another separate issue)

Admin

#8 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:02 AM

Admin, on Apr 8 2008, 09:13 PM, said:

Can the above actually work?

If we were to Custom modified both scenarios, would you want to try one out first and then the other to see which one works best....

Between all the Moderators, we will be able to police this to get the JT Members use to all of this which will actually benefit the section?
We can also modify the guidelines of the actual forum.

I'm thinking not to show the Guidelines because that I have notice that not too many read them but rather create another custom Modification in where the guidelines show above the editing screen while one is actually writing the post. We can also do this in the Let's go Wheeling and Happening section. (this is actually another separate issue)

Admin

IMO, policing themselves willnot work. People as a whole are too lazy.

We should be avble to monitor this as moderators. I do like the idea of having the guideline pop up when they are adding a post.
Ian Stewart

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#9 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

JeepinIan, on Apr 9 2008, 06:02 AM, said:

IMO, policing themselves will not work. People as a whole are too lazy.

We should be able to monitor this as moderators. I do like the idea of having the guideline pop up when they are adding a post.

I usually don't jump in with all these new modifications because I really think that most of the time when Admin and I discuss them they are usually to improve where most of us hang out. I have noticed through time that our software forum interface is very powerful on it's stock form. Through out the years there have been some modifications made in addition that we all enjoy once we learn they are there and see other member's using them. Not knocking other forum interfaces but I have not seen any other Jeep forum out there so far that compares to our interface (unless they are using the same, only one other that I know of). And to add to this, JT has all the proprietary custom stuff. Yes it does not come free to a few of us but that is our contribution to all the rest.

What really drives me ballistic at times is that Members that come here day in and day out don't take the time to actually stop a few seconds and learn how to do the simplest of things. If they have problems they don't post in the support forum or bother to read some of the help files or prior postings that really describes in detail how to do it all. :2thumup:

Now, with regards to these modifications, do we really want to stream line the market place to make it easier. I personally would like to see it, even thought there might be only a hand full of postings showing up inside that forum section. It would basically take less time to spot things. Do I think that Members would actually delete or change the subject to sold.... maybe, leaning toward the no.

Here is what I'm more concern about. Not so much as the delete the topic (cut and dry) but the change a subject title. A subject title should be short, brief and to the point. I've seen titles all over JT trying to explain what is inside the topic. I guess we will not know until all of this starts to happen.... if it does. I guess we will have to leave it up to Admin to see which way we go and the easiest way for JT Members to do this.

I also agree with Ian about the guidelines being shown at the top of the editor rather than on the top of some of the forums. Why, because after a while of them being there no one reads them to see if they have been updated, or completely ignore them. Keeping some forums in clean information manner to be able for Members to do things is good so it does not become a free for all taking time in just getting to the useful info. I do notice that some fun is allowed until it starts to get ugly. Than we have the Off topic forums for the rest of the stuff.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#10 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

If we were able to Code both options which one would you like to see first?

Change Title (will also edit post)
or
Delete Topic

I guess we can take a look at the few votes and go from there.

Admin

#11 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:07 AM

Admin, on Apr 11 2008, 03:30 PM, said:

If we were able to Code both options which one would you like to see first?

Change Title (will also edit post)
or
Delete Topic

I guess we can take a look at the few votes and go from there.

Admin

Change title first.
Ian Stewart

Zig Ziglar

John Stuart Mill

#12 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:31 AM

JeepinIan, on Apr 14 2008, 07:07 AM, said:

Change title first.

#13 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:45 PM

TallJeep, on Apr 14 2008, 06:31 AM, said:

Since we R going that way. X3
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#14 User is offline   Mountain Man 

• Colonel

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

Not to muddy the waters, but why not have a time limitation on an item (listing: could be multiple items)? If it doesn't sell in say 3 months, then it would automatically be deleted.

If the item is still available, then the person could re-list.

After an item is SOLD, or removed from sale, then the listing should be deleted. This would be done when
the person who listed it indicates it is SOLD.
1982 CJ-7, 31" tires, 12,000 lb. Ramsey Winch.
2002 Jeep Liberty, lifted, 31" tires.

If GOD wanted us to own 2 wheel drive vehicles,
He would have paved the whole earth.

SFJC, Jeep Club Advisor

#15 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

I've been working on and off on this. I did notice that while going through the Code edits, it was easier just to tackle both at once rather than revisit each time since the file php edits in two instances are in the same section. We will be implementing both and post another topic with instructions when I finish. We are working on other things for JeepTalk for the benefit of all. Introducing too much at one time is not very productive and we will do it in steps.

Mountain Man, on Apr 14 2008, 05:20 PM, said:

Not to muddy the waters, but why not have a time limitation on an item (listing: could be multiple items)? If it doesn't sell in say 3 months, then it would automatically be deleted.
If the item is still available, then the person could re-list.

This is a good idea but it requires too many variables and testing of the code. The script routine would not know the difference and all topics in these sections would have a life of 3 months. I can just imagine the requests we would get for a post being wrongly deleted.

After an item is SOLD, or removed from sale, then the listing should be deleted. This would be done when the person who listed it indicates it is SOLD.

Only Moderators can do this now, we are trying to take this responsibility away from them hoping that Members can actually understand how it works and police themselves in these 3 forum sections. I am willing to bet the Moderators will still have to intervene and remind.

For example, look how many members JeepTalk has, how many do you see expressing and giving ideas on this topic. Some people don't comment and that is fine but lets take it a step further and look at the total votes which requires no contribution, replies and it's anonymous. Our IP visit have grown tremendously in the past year and yet......

Sometimes I wonder if we should just stop trying to better JT like we continue doing. Let's just say for now that the ownership, programmers, coders and most of the Moderators including a small population of the membership continues to like and appreciate the small things we do. We hear it behind the scenes and surprisingly we have around a 90% like to 10% complaints out of the ones we do hear from. Can't please everyone but we are glad to see the balance of the scale.

Admin

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic