• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Restoring M416 Trailer

#1 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

I haver recently acquired a M416 trailer in good shape but want to do a more thorough restoration of it. I am looking for pointers and direction on where to start. Here are some points I could think of and some questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- I have downloaded write-ups where other people have restored their trailers for reference.
- I plan to keep it military green (but I am not sure of what that actual color is and where I can get it, so any suggestions would be appreciated).
- I want to keep it as close to stock as possible, so I might have some questions as I go through the process.
- I want to pull the hubs to check out the bearings and axles
- I want to remove the tub from the frame to clean up any rust.
- I am not sure of my options to clean and or restore the springs and shocks.
- I plan to keep the existing light configurations but want to convert them over to 12 volt without messing up the 24 volt configuration if possible.
- If I want to restore it with correct placement of emblems and numbers, where do I get the information to do that?
- I may end up building a hard top cover for it but don't know at this point.

Here are some pictures in it's current state: Trailer Pictures

I will take pictures as I go, so I will be able to document the process.

Jim B has already provided me the following information.

With regards to the tarp. Below are a few links:

These guys are a bit on the high side.
http://www.beachwoodcanvas.com/

Weebe webbing is where I get all my stuff from. They are of great quality and good pricing.
http://www.odcloth.com/products.html

Any help and pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Help A Fellow Jeeper Out!
Jake Info Donations To Assist Show Your Support
SFJC and 50/50 Offroad Team

#2 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

Man that is sweet........ it looks like it has already been restored, not much left to do. :cheers:

Wildbill :first:
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

#3 User is offline   TiredPete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Head on over to the Yahoo groups. They have an M416 group, a lot of knowledge in there.

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

Brian,

In addition to the Canvas links I gave you I looked at my archives with regards to the Olive Drab paint.

Here is where I purchase all my paint, there are 3 shades depending on the year. The M416 is a later made trailer around the Viet Nam era.

If you go to Rapco paints and click on the drop down menu you will see the shade info. They use to have a nice chart but they must have taking it down.
http://rapcoparts.com/spraypaint.html

Mullins is also a good place for paint.
http://store.mullinsjeepparts.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=Paint

Here is a complete write up with parts and pics, one of the better links I've had laying around especially for an M416.
http://vegasauto.net/m416.html

For my Willys though I would need to pull a Bantam which is a smaller trailer.

Once you are all done you can can order from Rick larsen Stencils. He makes complete markings for all military. Scroll down and you can see the trailer complete set.
http://www.militarystencils.com/

Below is a link to a detail discussion on Olive Drab shades here on JeepTalk. It has some sample pictures too.
http://jeeptalk.net/...wtopic=1905&hl=
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

Hey Smokey I forgot to ask... did the wife allow for a budget. I can always help you tally up and speak to her. :2thumup:

Let us know on the progress and take some pics. :good:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#6 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for your concern Jim. I forgot that one little issue, so at this point it is a work in progress. I'll let you know if I need any of your accounting assistance.

Update: Over the weekend I started the break down. I have removed all bolts to separate the tub from the frame, I have removed all the 24 volt wiring and lights, and I have removed all the brake components. My next steps will be to remove the axle, springs, and front part of the frame and lunnet.

I am starting to consider my options for the axle and drum repair/replacement, so if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. At this point I am considering keeping the original look, but you never know as I go through the process.

I will be posting pictures of the trailer in its disassembled phase prior to starting any of the clean up.

#7 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

smokey you should consider paintin that the same color as your jeep and get matching rims and tires it would look great as a match .

#8 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:40 PM

Skinner I thought I like you until you have to make a suggestion like that. I am having that debate with my wife and won't do it. I want to keep it as close to original as possible. Plus if I went that route it would be a beat up trailer with a nice paint job.

I am going to try my best not to do any wood modifications along the way. When I get ready to paint it I will probably be picking your brain, so be prepared.

#9 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

hey i will take that as an insult buster i will have you know i do some damn fine wood mods .......so there .............. :whistle: :down:

if you are gonna paint it again ..green or whatever ....please do yourself a favor and use a real spray gun .you will be happier with the result

you know if your interested in getting the paint local there is a paint dist. on st.rd.84 that i deal with these guys are good ....and they even have a special camera that they can take a pic of the paint you have now and mix and match via computer to your exact color you want ....just a thought .

#10 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

Now let's try to get this back on topic you thread hijackers.

I have removed everything off the frame. I need to drop the axle and springs and remove the front hitch/lunnet. I am going to start purchasing the replacement nuts, bolts and supplies either this weekend and next week. Jim, and anyone else serious about helping me restore the trailer, I need to know what I should do about the primer and paint. The other area I need help is the axle (bearings and hubs). I am considering having two sets of hubs, one for the authentic look and one for daily use with standard tires. Let me know your thoughts. I am doing my research but need ideas.

I will be posting pictures later this week or this weekend of the parts before I start the cleanup.

Thanks

#11 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

Another update. Sorry no pictures until this weekend. It's been too dark to get pictures. I have totally disassembled the frame and everything attached to it. The only items left to disassemble is to remove the tires and hubs.

I need to know if anyone know of somebody that can do sandblasting at a reasonble price. I am not sure if I am going to sandblast the trailer or just do a thorough sanding. The rust is not as bad as I thought even though there are a couple spots that are worst than the rest. Starting next week I will placing my orders for the replacement parts, so it shouldn't be too much longer and it will be back and operational.

I'll keep you posted over the weekend.

#12 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

View Postsmokey, on Apr 9 2008, 10:44 AM, said:

Jim, and anyone else serious about helping me restore the trailer, I need to know what I should do about the primer and paint.

Paint you will just have to decide which shade of Olive Drab, now the primer can become really tricky on bare metal. I do know that the same company links I gave you has the red metal primer they use to work with their olive drab. Ask Rollbar, he used some and so did I.

There is all kinds of metal primer that people can recommend but I do have to tell you that I wen to Home Depot and nothing they had there really convinced me except for one that was galvanized but I did not want to take the chance in working with the Olive Drab. When it comes to this I don't have any experience in using that many primers so maybe someone else with paint and body can help out here.

The other area I need help is the axle (bearings and hubs). I am considering having two sets of hubs, one for the authentic look and one for daily use with standard tires. Let me know your thoughts. I am doing my research but need ideas.

Well if you have the money for two sets of wheel than that is fine. I've seen a few guys have close to authentic and still put the bigger tires on it to match your Jeep size. There is a tire company that makes the bigger military looking size tires also, can't remember the name of the top of my head now.
El Niņo

#13 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

Brian,
Our club member, Bill E. had his M416 sandblasted. He could give you some info on that. Also, he has posted several pics of his rebuilt trailer. He did an expert job on it.

joe
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
DAYTONA BEER POLICE MEMBER #6
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.
'04Liberty--3.7L, auto, 4x4

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

Joe, how do I get a hold of Bill? What is his name on here?

#15 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

Hey Smokey, Look what I picked up on my trip to the Ga. farm this week :2thumup: I just happened across it.

Posted Image

Mine isn't in as good of shape as yours and it has been converted to 2" ball. The picture shows the portable lights and wiring i used to get it home. I oredred new military lights today. The brown stuff on the side is clay. I was proud to see it has very little rust. Mine will not be stock in any way shape or form. It will match my CJ7, including a little diamond plating and linex tub. already repacked bearings before dragging it 400 miles home. I will rip it apart starting Saturday. I'm going to try and use all stainless round head bolts. It's the perfect camping trailer. I can't wait to get it done. All the frame work will be PPG DP-90 Black. The outer tub will be PPG garnet red base coat/clear coat and the inside of the tub will be linex w/teflon. I think the wheels will be PPG silver base coat/clear coat.
You asked about paint. The best primer I have ever used is PPG epoxy DP-90. It flexes, but it is very strong. We use it on the bottom of our mowers to prevent the high lift blades from sandblasting through the decks. These mowers mow around 500acres a week.
Any how, congradulations on the find. If mine was as nice as yours, I would restore to original also. For sandblasting check w/ local headstone makers, they will sometime let you rent their sand and sandblater for $6.00 to $10.00 per hr.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#16 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

View Postsmokey, on Apr 10 2008, 09:26 AM, said:

Joe, how do I get a hold of Bill? What is his name on here?

Bill is "SafariOutfitter" on the forum. He will be a good source.
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Here are a few shots from my M101 Canadian Trailer...

Posted Image
After I put it together from the shipper

Posted Image
Some surface rust spots that came out easily.

Posted Image
I bought a canvas from Northern tool and inserted the grommets... didn't work too well after a
70 mph test run, however. I used black and two shades of brown "rattle can" Camo paint. I may
LineX the underside and the inside soon.

Posted Image
I left the original tires on it. It tracks behind me perfectly and my Jeep gas mileage doesn't seem
to be affected. I've taken it to Tellico and more recently to Titusville for the Sgt. Ryka event.

I'm very happy with it. I now have two spare tires for it as well.

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

Sodman, very nice looking trailer to start with. If there are parts you may not be using as you go through the rebuild let me know in case I might need them.

Sky6 thanks for the contact for bill and nice looking trailer. I will try to track him down.

#19 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:01 PM

View Postsky6, on Apr 13 2008, 03:32 PM, said:

Here are a few shots from my M101 Canadian Trailer...
I bought a canvas from Northern tool and inserted the grommets... didn't work too well after a
70 mph test run, however. I used black and two shades of brown "rattle can" Camo paint. I may

I left the original tires on it. It tracks behind me perfectly and my Jeep gas mileage doesn't seem
to be affected. I've taken it to Tellico and more recently to Titusville for the Sgt. Ryka event.

I'm very happy with it. I now have two spare tires for it as well.

Very nice. I like the camo you chose. :2thumup:
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#20 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:33 AM

View Postsky6, on Apr 13 2008, 04:32 PM, said:

Posted Image

Like the camo and glad you kept the look of the tires. :2thumup:

With regards that canvas cover.... how could you. :1baby:

And btw, if and when you move, if you have a problem taking it with you I would be happy to store at my place. :good: :naughty:

Now all we have to wait is on the pics that Smokey supposedly has been taken. Would like to see it off the frame with pics of the frame and bottom of tub.

Sodman, nice find but you will have to hunt down a lunette for it. :ya:
El Niņo

#21 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

Alright Jim B, I will get the pictures posted tonight. I have everything taken apart. The last item is to remove the drums from the axles. Also, you had previously asked about a budget and getting it approved. I don't think I responded but it is a work in progress with no budget at this time. Even though I don't have one, I want to keep it down as much as possible. And imagine, I haven't even had to get it approved by the War Department yet. :tongue1: Oh that's right, I wear the pants in my house, do you? :whistle: I have some surprises up my sleeves that I don't want to let out of the bag at this time.

Hey Joe, is that authentic camo pattern. I found a book somewhere online that showed the approved army camo pattern and I don't remember if that is the correct pattern. I had considered camoing mine, but I didn't want to go through the extra aggravation.

#22 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

View Postsmokey, on Apr 14 2008, 09:38 AM, said:

Alright Jim B, I will get the pictures posted tonight. I have everything taken apart. The last item is to remove the drums from the axles. Also, you had previously asked about a budget and getting it approved. I don't think I responded but it is a work in progress with no budget at this time. Even though I don't have one, I want to keep it down as much as possible. And imagine, I haven't even had to get it approved by the War Department yet. :tongue1: Oh that's right, I wear the pants in my house, do you? :whistle: I have some surprises up my sleeves that I don't want to let out of the bag at this time.

Looking forward to those pics and the surprise. :ya: Regarding my pants... I have not been able to find them for over 10 years now. :whistle:
El Niņo

#23 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:27 PM

Here are the pictures of the trailer taken apart. I don't know what the black stuff is on the bottom of the trailer and the frame, but it seems to be an oil substance of some type.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now the fun really begins!

#24 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

Very nice. :ya: Actually the frame does not look to bad from the pics.

Yep, you definitely have it under control with the wife having it all on the front driveway. :)
El Niņo

#25 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:53 AM

View Postsmokey, on Apr 14 2008, 09:38 AM, said:

Hey Joe, is that authentic camo pattern. I found a book somewhere online that showed the approved army camo pattern and I don't remember if that is the correct pattern. I had considered camoing mine, but I didn't want to go through the extra aggravation.

No, it is only a pattern that seemed to fit. I camoed my canoe the same way.... a rattle can in each hand... if I don't like, I just keep going until it looks nice to me.

Once while in the military I was in charge of my companies vehicles, I was told to camouflage them. We had two 2 1/2 tons, 2 5/4 tons, and 3 Jeeps (we were leg infantry or we would have had more transportation)... no rattle cans just buckets and brushes. We went to work that day... everyone said it looked nice but that the patterns were not coming in until the following week... I said, "patterns"? Yep, I had to redo all of them.

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Here is a quick update on the trailer. I have been sanding away all weekend on the frame and frame parts. I think I am deciding not to do a complete strip of the tub because it is in good shape so I may just sand the bad areas and touch them up. What are your thoughts?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

I called Raptco today to get the paint and primer for the trailer. The paint is #24087 Olive Drab Semi-Gloss Korea/Vietnam and the primer is #111. $30 per gallon or $6 per spray can. I will be placing the order tomorrow for the primer and the paint. The rebuild is about to begin. :biggrin1:

I am done stripping the trailer and have begun working on the tub. I will post the final stripped pictures prior to the painting process.

I still need to buy the replacement bolts, one tire because one is dry rotted, and lighting.

I'll keep you posted.

#28 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

Darn Smokey, looking really good. :ya: I'm enjoying looking at the work, thanks for posting the pics.

I'm looking forward on your thoughts with regards to the paint. I knew Rapco would help you out with year color and special primer. Let us know what they told you with regards to the shades and different kinds of primer. Thanks. :tongue1:
El Niņo

#29 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

View Postsmokey, on Apr 22 2008, 04:17 PM, said:

I called Raptco today to get the paint and primer for the trailer. The paint is #24087 Olive Drab Semi-Gloss Korea/Vietnam and the primer is #111. $30 per gallon or $6 per spray can. I will be placing the order tomorrow for the primer and the paint. The rebuild is about to begin. :biggrin1:

I am done stripping the trailer and have begun working on the tub. I will post the final stripped pictures prior to the painting process.

I still need to buy the replacement bolts, one tire because one is dry rotted, and lighting.

I'll keep you posted.

When you locate the tires please let me know how much. I found the direct replacements, but $90.99 each :whistle: :strong2: I'll put some cheap Coopers or something before I pay that for a millitary tread. They are only 4ply.
Thanks, J. Brown

#30 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

Well I am not done, but close enough that I could roll it out of the garage for my father's day gift to myself and take some pictures. I still have to get the stencils to paint on, the tarp, put on the wheel hubs and finish up the wiring.

Here are the photos. :whistle: :biggrin1: :bat:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Sorry for the glare on a couple of the pictures. Once I am done I will do a complete write up...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic