• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handmade Cargo Rack

#1 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

after looking at a few pics of various racks , i sat down with my friend in the fab shop and worked up our own design.........

After taking a few measurements ..... starting out with 1/2" galvanized steel tube stock i dug up out of the scrap bin (about 85 ft of raw material found ).....we measured out the design at 5X4X4.

next process we began the bending process ...........need a hydrolic.....bender for this part .........after bending pipe to desired pattern ...next we measured and cut
the support beams 1/4" steel flat stock............and layed out our designed rack on the floor for welding .
below you will find links to pics of work in progress ...i will update as we proceed ... :1thumb:

p.s. keep in mind ...this process is in its raw form .....but soon it will start taking shape .............. :nono:

Posted Image

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh71/GZ...um/IMG_0027.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh71/GZ...um/IMG_0026.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh71/GZ...um/IMG_0029.jpg

#2 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

A ROOF RACK IS BORN.

finally getting a chance to get back to it ......myself and the fabricator got our materials bent to shape ...and up on the table for welding .....first we welded our closed rack frame ends ....to be detailed in later ...........

next we cut preped and welded in the rack cross bars to form the bed of the rack using 1/4 " galvanized steel pipe .when welding galvanized steel the galvanized coating must be removed at the weld point to prevent burning and poping of the coating ....

after welding in the bed of the rack ...next we welded in our 1/4 " steel plate frame supports ....3 on each side 2 front and 2 rear .....next we then added the top ratainer of the rack and after prep we welded to the supports ( rear highlift brackets will be perm.welded on once rack is complete )...i wanted to stick with a low profile rack design so the space sread of the rack will be 3" ...hence a rack is born ........see updated pics on myspace and some at the following links .....not only will this rack look good ...but it will be super strong ....nothing like ...something personally made ............. :2thumup:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh71/GZ.../IMG_0052-1.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh71/GZ...um/IMG_0046.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh71/GZ...um/IMG_0045.jpg

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

continuing on with the roof rack project ..today we did the final centering and measuring for the mount supports ...which will include quick disconnects
the supports must be bend in the rear to accomidate .....and will run 3ft down to the jeep body and will be bolted on as such with 2ft cross beams
see pics below of current progress of project , so much fun and gradifing building something yourself .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

centering for final measurments and fit .

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hey Skinner, I like the 2x4 look and using it to mount the rack. It should make it easier for mounting additional hardware considering you could use wood screws for mounting. :whistle: :amazed:

Nice job so far. Can't wait to see the final product. :lol:
Help A Fellow Jeeper Out!
Jake Info Donations To Assist Show Your Support
SFJC and 50/50 Offroad Team

#5 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

ooohhh yeah imagine the goodies i can hang on those 2x4's with little drilling or effort ....couple of drywall screws and im set ................ :amazed:

lol im just waiting for ( Talljeep ) to beat me over those 2x4 spacing block pics ....cause i know its coming . :whistle: :shock:

you just watch and see the beatings are comin...... he cant resist ..... :amazed: :lol:

#6 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

this guy thats helping me is an exp.fabricator ....so yeah it should come out real well ....and strong to . :amazed:

lol minus the 2x4's..........

#7 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

View PostSkinner1, on Mar 24 2008, 05:21 PM, said:

lol im just waiting for ( Talljeep ) to beat me over those 2x4 spacing block pics ....cause i know its coming . :naughty: :whistle:
you just watch and see the beatings are comin...... he cant resist ..... :naughty: :popcorn:

What beating :whistle:

#8 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

View PostTallJeep, on Mar 24 2008, 05:07 PM, said:

What beating :naughty:
yeah yeah ok ....let me have it comon you know you just cant resist a good 2x4 comment .........get it over with ......... :popcorn:

by the way what guage steel wire are you using for your front supports if i may ask ?

#9 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

View PostSkinner1, on Mar 24 2008, 05:10 PM, said:

by the way what guage steel wire are you using for your front supports if i may ask ?

:popcorn: I don't remember, I think is the one after the very thin one.

#10 User is offline   SeaMonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

Nice work. Way to keep the lights, too. Well done in true jeeper style!
- 2000 TJ with big rubbery tires for going on trails and stuff.

#11 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

well i was able to dig up some 6 gauge i hope thats enough to give it the support .... guess we will see .

#12 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hey Skinner, since you are going with this new wood theme for your jeep I figured I would give you some ideas to help you out.

You could go with wood doors like this. I am sure you could do a better job fabricating and painting them though.

Posted Image

And if you really get adventurous you could go this route.

Posted Image

Just image all the things you could mount on a jeep like this and how easy it would be. And it even looks like if you polish your wood enough you could get a nice shine on it.

Hope this helps you with ideas.

#13 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:53 AM

a few self tapping screws ........and a few coats of varnish ......oooohhhh yeahhhh ............. :whistle:

hey whats that white stuff on the ground in that first pic ???? :crazy:

#14 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

View PostSkinner1, on Mar 27 2008, 05:53 AM, said:

hey whats that white stuff on the ground in that first pic ???? :crazy:

Snow, and not the type you find in Miami! :D
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#15 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

moving right along today we did our final fit and a few last adjustments the get proper fit before the final bolt on stage sticking with the low profile look i think it looks great . nothing left to do now but weld in the last 2 cross side support bars and drill /bolt it on and run the front steel cables .
it was a tough job really but i think there is nothing more self gradifying then actually designing something and buliding it yourself .(well with the help of a friend )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

Are you painting the wood blocks the same color as the rack or the color of the jeep? :first:

:wave: :strong2: :cheers:

Looking good greg!!!

#17 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

the jeep...............hopefully if im feeling better i will get it finished up and painted by the 12th for the show .

#18 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

moving right along my friend finished up the drilling work and final welding today ....next the rack goes to the paint shop....to be primed / painted /and baked .
i will post final paint work and mount pics soon .hopefully i will have it done and bolted up by next sat. :thumbsup:

ohhh by the way talljeep look at all the neat toys in the back ground i get to play with ................. :harhar:

#19 User is offline   southrider 

• Major

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

man that is looking great.
2006 Rubicon.

#20 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

Lookin great. I am shocked I didn't see more wood in the final design. Can't wait to see it painted.

#21 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:03 AM

:harhar: ..........well its almost done ...and no no wood blocks ....the rack is bein moved into the paintshop today ............probably be finished and bolted on by monday .

stats.

overall space : 22 square ft of cargo space .

weight capacity : overall 350 pounds.

total weight of rack alone : 23.2 pounds. of galvanized 1/4 " steel pipe and stainless steel bolt-on hardware

note: this rack was made from a pile of left over hurricane damage curtain framing . not a bad work of art if i do say so myself . :thumbsup:

#22 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

correction overall weight of rack total 33.2 lbs. type mistake

#23 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

after not having a weekend off to myself in almost 2 1/2 mounths . i had had enough today and got off at 11 and put the rest of the day into finishing up my rack rigging and installation .
the rack has been primed , painted , and installed . and rigging finished ....complete with adjustable tension stainless steel cables in the front and rear BaJa lighting .

total investment 30 hrs. of time a case of beer , and $80.00 i am real happy with the way it turned out . had a few final fit issues but it is what it is . its on and secure . :1thumb:

started with this

Posted Image

finished up Install , rigging , painted to this ..........( and no wood blocks ) lol. :2thumup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

let me know what you all think of me and my buddies work . :good: :1thumb:

#24 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

Very impressive :2thumup: I was just wondering though, do you guys have SunPass recievers in the woods down there? Posted Image
What is that black thing on the nose of your jeep? That is a bad A** Jeep you even have to put a muzzle on it :good:
Just kiddin, looks good man!
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#25 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

lol.........man there aint gonna be no woods down here anymore if they keep building ,,,,,,,,, :2thumup:

#26 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

View PostSkinner1, on Apr 6 2008, 08:18 PM, said:

lol.........man there aint gonna be no woods down here anymore if they keep building ,,,,,,,,, :2thumup:

I hear ya. Little Arcadia isn't so little anymore. Ft. Myers moving north and Sarasota moving East.
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#27 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:06 AM

yeah i heard that 1 . i was out west the otherday in an area i havent been in a while and i was like ........whered the trees go ?? :2thumup:

#28 User is offline   southrider 

• Major

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

looks very nice! :2thumup:
2006 Rubicon.

#29 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:46 AM

thanks ......i had a few final fit issues as i said ....but all in all it came out pretty good i think .even with a flaw or 2 . :obsessed:

#30 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

made this rack for about $15. took about 4 hrs. made out of electrical conduit. bent with a hand held conduit bender. its light weight and strong.
Posted Image
best of all.....no trees were injured in the making of this rack.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic