JEEPTALK.net: Email vs UserName - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Email vs UserName

Poll: Email vs UserName (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Do you Prefer

1. Email Address Login (10 votes [25.64%])

Percentage of vote: 25.64%

2. User Name Login (present) (29 votes [74.36%])

Percentage of vote: 74.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

We have been getting lately a few server bounce back alerts from Members that do not keep their email addresses current.

This happens when other Members write to them by PM or direct email through JeepTalk.

We are thinking of changing the login procefure from JeepTalk User Name to the email address a Member registers with. We feel that this would remind everyone of their current email address. When you change or update your email on your Member Control panel, your login would change to the new email address.

We feel that this is a more productive way to make sure that everyone stays up to date on their settings. We get a few requests on why a Member does not respond to a message that another Member has written.

If you have any ideas on how to keep everyone reminded without periodic notices we are willing to listen.

I created a Poll to see what Members prefer, however please keep in mind that if we feel that we must change and the vote reflects otherwise we might have to do the change and we will notify everyone. Thank you for understanding.

Admin

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

View PostAdmin, on Feb 25 2008, 06:16 PM, said:

If you have any ideas on how to keep everyone reminded without periodic notices we are willing to listen.

Admin

1. Get a gallery & a JT E-mail address & it will stop. Pay up people, stuff ain't getting any cheaper on a free forum.
2. JimB told me to say that :scratch: :good: :roll: J/K
3. Ban the IP address :scratch: :2thumup: when it happens & they will get the JT jitters when they can't log in :roll: then they will remember :rof:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

View PostRollbar, on Feb 25 2008, 05:27 PM, said:

2. JimB told me to say that :roll: :2thumup: :rof: J/K

Hey Admin, is there any way we can keep Rollbar out of JT for at least 2 weeks :good: :scratch:

3. Ban the IP address :roll: :rof: when it happens & they will get the JT jitters when they can't log in :rof: then they will remember :rof:

Actually I like this idea. :scratch: But... I think this would create more work for Admin.

I voted to keep it the same as we have it now.
I guess if it gets out of hand Admin will eventually have to do something if he decides not to change it now.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:45 PM

View PostJim B, on Feb 25 2008, 06:04 PM, said:

Hey Admin, is there any way we can keep Rollbar out of JT for at least 2 weeks :scratch: :scratch:

Don't do that, pleasssseeeeeee :good: , or I might have to go to Florida Jeepers for a while :rof: :rof: :rof:

P.S. I agree, I like the regular log-in as we have it now, BUT what do I know :2thumup: , I'm about to be :roll: to another forum :rof: :roll: :rof:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#5 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

I prefer the user name sign-on.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#6 User is offline   MrSig 

• Colonel

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:21 AM

View PostJeepinIan, on Feb 26 2008, 06:53 AM, said:

I prefer the user name sign-on.

Are you ready for this? I agree with JeepinIan!!! :biggrin1:
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
https://www.facebook...acksheep4x4sorg
Posted Image
Member of CCJ
White Jeep Club Member #137

#7 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:33 AM

View Postmrsig, on Nov 2 2008, 04:21 AM, said:

Are you ready for this? I agree with JeepinIan!!! :biggrin1:

:beer:

stay with the user name
did i just agree with sig :beer:

#8 User is offline   gatordone 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Banned

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

Im voting to keep it the same for two reasons... If you change it to email addresses, it is allowing everyone's private email address to be open to the public and secondly you can not express yourself with your email address the way you can with your screen name.

#9 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

View Postgatordone, on Nov 2 2008, 09:54 AM, said:

Im voting to keep it the same for two reasons... If you change it to email addresses, it is allowing everyone's private email address to be open to the public and secondly you can not express yourself with your email address the way you can with your screen name.

1. It does not allow email addresses to be open to the public, we know better than that. Once you log in with your email, your JT user Name shows, not email. What leads you to believe this?

2. Regarding expressing yourself with your email address vs screen name. Your Screen or User JT name shows on postings not email, again we are security conscious so I'm not sure why you would say that this is how it would work.

Email address log in has it's advantages as it makes users aware to keep their email address updated. There is a lot of bounce back email and PM notices that go out by the board (even subscribed topic notification) automatically that bounce back and get automatically deleted because members forget to keep their email addresses updated on their control panel. No one sees the loging but the JT Member.

Admin

#10 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

View PostAdmin, on Nov 2 2008, 10:36 AM, said:

1. It does not allow email addresses to be open to the public, we know better than that. Once you log in with your email, your JT user Name shows, not email. What leads you to believe this?

2. Regarding expressing yourself with your email address vs screen name. Your Screen or User JT name shows on postings not email, again we are security conscious so I'm not sure why you would say that this is how it would work.

Email address log in has it's advantages as it makes users aware to keep their email address updated. There is a lot of bounce back email and PM notices that go out by the board (even subscribed topic notification) automatically that bounce back and get automatically deleted because members forget to keep their email addresses updated on their control panel. No one sees the loging but the JT Member.

Admin

these were my concerns also now it does not matter

#11 User is offline   88comm 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

View PostAdmin, on Feb 25 2008, 03:16 PM, said:

We have been getting lately a few server bounce back alerts from Members that do not keep their email addresses current.

This happens when other Members write to them by PM or direct email through JeepTalk.

We are thinking of changing the login procefure from JeepTalk User Name to the email address a Member registers with. We feel that this would remind everyone of their current email address. When you change or update your email on your Member Control panel, your login would change to the new email address.

We feel that this is a more productive way to make sure that everyone stays up to date on their settings. We get a few requests on why a Member does not respond to a message that another Member has written.

I created a Poll to see what Members prefer, however please keep in mind that if we feel that we must change and the vote reflects otherwise we might have to do the change and we will notify everyone. Thank you for understanding.

Admin

Nice to know that JT is a democracy and allows us to vote.

#12 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:38 AM

I think it should stay the way it is with the user name......
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic