JEEPTALK.net: 4" Lift Install (Skinner's) - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4" Lift Install (Skinner's) Yes he did get dirty!!!!

#1 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:20 PM

I'm going to let him do the wrtie up on this, but here are the pictures that we took during the installation. We had the jeep done after about 5 Hrs of hard work and laughts.

Here they are:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Are we done yet?? Wake me up in 5 minutes!!!

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

lol you forget ....busted knuckles .....and metal splinters ............... :scratch:

#3 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

aaahhhh look at the last pick ....gustavo's version of a teddy bear .....or maybe a pillow ...... :scratch:

#4 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

Wow can't wait for the write-up.
Looks like you guys had a great time working on it :scratch:
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

4" rough country lift write up .

gustavo & chad know more of the details then me but here goes .....

first thing we did was start with the front end . getting the jeep up on jackstands we started by removing tires to expose susp. then came removal of current suspension parts shocks ...coils springs ...etc .

while chad and i worked on removal of these components ...gustavo...worked on bushings in control arms etc . next came pitman arm pull....what a job that was . after beating on the puller with a hammer and breaker bar ...and chads raw power finally it broke free . while this was goin on i worked on rebooting the new shocks .
then came coil spring install ...floor jack big help here ...when the job is done on jackstands as this 1 was a floor jack is a must to asst in lining up bolts and fittings by raising and or lowering axle as needed .

with coil springs now in we reinstalled shocks and ext.control arms with everything back into place we then reinstalled front tires and lowered front end ...leaving front sway bar unhooked i think .( had to be drilled for new bolts )

next rear end . up the jeep went on stands and process started over again ...shock removal . traction bar removal to be drilled and set into new ext.block with everything out track bar bein the hardest ....at this point you could tell that the late night time was starting to wear on us all .....around 2am now ....the final parts were going in after having to wake gustavo a few times he drilled out for the new trackbar block ..........once that was in place springs were installed by raising and lowering axle on a floor jack...then shocks went in with new bushings ....

all in all if im not mistaken ..and taken into consideration the awesome work and late hours put into this job it was very well done the hardest points of the job were ....pitman arm ...sway bar line up and drilling ( done last after rear end and jeep was back on the floor ) ...and trac bar ext install....rest went in pretty easy considering .....

after it was all said and done ...next problem ...Getting the jeep out ..it was now to tall to get out of gustavos garage ...fix" remove and lower light bar .....by this time we were all beat ....but let it be known that these 2 guys gustavo and chad are super friends to have ....and im real gald to have em ' :scratch: :drive:

there are a few last adjustments that need to be made to finilize the job ...but all and all it came out great . thanks guys ..... :wave:

final note : the pics above really tell the story of the install better then i can ....heck im just learnin all this stuff .......but all in all ....with some hard work....couple of ouches ....and alot of laughs ....it was all good . :wave: :dance:

#6 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

sunday update : after the lift was installed ...we all were so beat from the job...the T-case was never adjusted to accomidate ....today i met up with southrider and crawled up to gustavo's due to the serious vibration i was developing in the rear end .

when we arrived : i pulled out the kit ....slide a jack under the skidplate ...undid the 6 retainer bolts dropped down the T-case ...it is well advised to use a floor jack for this .....inserted the new straight bar spacers and bolted back up .....after that was done Vibration problem solved :1thumb: ...there was also alittle problem with the shifter i could not ingage into 2nd or rev because the shifted would hit inside the case under the console ....
solution.....removed the rubber guard ...and with the help of a hack saw cut out enough of the case sheild to accomidate shifter ....problem solved :drive: ........then with the addition of my new tires ............

and with a few left over minor ends to tighten up ..........my build-up is almost complete ...........all final ....well its never final ...but all new photos on my space ...in build-up complete ...............
:usjeep:
:lol: :whistle:

#7 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

Greg,
Great pic and write-up. Can't wait to see it.

What kind of disconnects did you install?
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
DAYTONA BEER POLICE MEMBER #6
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.
'04Liberty--3.7L, auto, 4x4

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

just the standards ....JCWhitney did not have the ones in stock that i want so im waitin for them ..............if you can access myspace ...click on the link below you can see my rig as it sits as of 2:30 today .................... :1thumb:

#9 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:36 AM

Greg,

Nice write.:2thumup: Btw, lowering your skid plate will rob you of precious clearance, yes you had to do it because of teh vibes... but, you might in the future want to think about getting a CV driveshaft. If I'm not mistaken the SFJC has discounts from our sponsor here Tom Wood.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#10 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

thats def , a future project ..........at the moment im workin on trying to figure out a way tomake and put in a new shifter cover ...

#11 User is offline   nero004 

• Captain

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

so how was rough country as far as providing all the needed parts in their kit?? what about the quality of the parts? im looking at their kit for the YJ and just wanted to know some feedback on the kit even though the kits are different/
Official Mall Crawler

#12 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

the rough country lift was complete every part needed to lift my T/J 4" was in the boxes ...hardware ,bolts ,nuts ,T-case lowering kit everything needed ..........very good quality also ........i paid 509.00 for the kit complete .........delivered from JCWhitney .............i had it 2 days after it was ordered ............i was amazed :scratch:

just check your parts list because some kits are different then others ............... :good:

#13 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:09 PM

now heres a inexpensive little trick to fix a not so popular problem when a susp lift is done and your console and shifter boot has to be cut to accomidate the shifter drop and all that hot air is blowin in your cab area cause your shifter is open

inexpensive fix : 2 household items piece of vinyl and some contact cement .

in my case i was still able to use my boot to cover the rest but i had a gap in the console that had to be cut out facing the seat with hot air blowing in the cab irritating...not to mention ugly as all get out :good: ... so

i cut a small piece of black vinyl ( good and flexable ) wiped the surrounding area of the console with lacqerthinner to clean work area ......applied some contact cement then applied my vinyl strip patch over the gap ( not to tight to allow adiquate stretch) .........allowed to dry . ..... then tried my shifter to make sure there was no resistence .....shifted fine .....and really not that noticable ........i thought it was a cool idea anyway :scratch:

#14 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

wait a second here i just noiticed this ......" yes he did get dirty " ......... now thats just cruel and insensitve abuse ........i got dirty the jeep didnt .. lol.... :innocent:

#15 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:20 PM

View PostSkinner1, on Feb 27 2008, 12:10 PM, said:

wait a second here i just noiticed this ......" yes he did get dirty " ......... now thats just cruel and insensitve abuse ........i got dirty the jeep didnt .. lol.... :biggrin1:

:innocent:

#16 User is offline   ccs68 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

I will tell you what, I have been reading up on some of the other Jeep forums and they dont even come close to this one in terms of friends and working together. I am impressed and wish I found this forum a long time ago. Its nice to see guys getting together like this job and finishing up. There may be things that scare people away from doing thierselves but after seeing how its handled here, anything can be done.

Good work and great follow up with the pics and notes. This goes a long way. :lol:

#17 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:36 AM

View Postccs68, on Mar 4 2008, 01:47 AM, said:

I will tell you what, I have been reading up on some of the other Jeep forums and they dont even come close to this one in terms of friends and working together. I am impressed and wish I found this forum a long time ago. Its nice to see guys getting together like this job and finishing up. There may be things that scare people away from doing thierselves but after seeing how its handled here, anything can be done.

Good work and great follow up with the pics and notes. This goes a long way. :lol:

:tongue1:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic