JEEPTALK.net: Communication on trails - JEEPTALK.net

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Communication on trails What do you use to communicate on....

Poll: What do you use to communicate with others on trails? (65 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you use to communicate with others on trails?

1. VHF Radio (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. CB Radio (55 votes [85.94%])

Percentage of vote: 85.94%

3. Ham Radio (2 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Walkie Talkies (3 votes [4.69%])

Percentage of vote: 4.69%

5. Nextels, ect... (4 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

Jerry,
I used the marine VHF radio on my boat, not on the road. There are VHF freqs that can be used in vehicles with the proper license.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#32 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

Where does everyone mount their CB? I have a new 2007 JK 2 door. I have seen the overhead mounts, but is this the way to go? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Help A Fellow Jeeper Out!
Jake Info Donations To Assist Show Your Support
SFJC and 50/50 Offroad Team

#33 User is offline   Jerry Bransford 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:19 AM

Yep so far as I am concerned, overhead is the only way to go. Until you can get an overhead console to install your CB into, you can screw the mount to the center rollbar in the center and face the radio forward. That way it's near your ear so you can easily hear it and the microphone drops down so you can lay it in the center console's cup holder or in your lap. I ran mine like that for 8-9 years until I fabricated a small simple overhead console that works well to hold both my CB and ham radios.
See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

#34 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:43 PM

I have my CB mounted in an overhead console made by Tuffy. I love it. I should have showed it to you on Friday night. I will show you on Wed at the meeting.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#35 User is offline   Big91explorer 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:45 PM

View Post73_cj_project, on Oct 3 2007, 03:44 PM, said:

My Nextel works most everywhere I wheel. Ask Billy, I came to his rescue even though I was the one way out on Trail 3 in the middle of nowhere :D

Gus

Thats not nice
99 explorer 49"irok 5.38 (sold)
? 92 yj 39"irok , Coming to a trail near you
Run What Ya Brung And Hope Ya Have Enough

#36 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

What about antennas? I saw a nice one made by cooltech (http://www.cooltechl...let/Detail?no=1) that looks nice and is mounted out of the way. What are your thoughts?

#37 User is offline   TiredPete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

View Postsmokey, on Oct 9 2007, 09:30 PM, said:

What about antennas? I saw a nice one made by cooltech (http://www.cooltechl...let/Detail?no=1) that looks nice and is mounted out of the way. What are your thoughts?

I have one and will be installing it this weekend. I also picked up a quick disconect and a spring to keep it from snaping off when a branch catches it. I post a picture when I am done. There are also spare tire mounts available for the '07's.

Pete

#38 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

Pete,

Thanks for the response and I look forward to the pictures. How did you mount your CB? Also, have you installed one of the spare tire mounts? What size tire do you have on the tire mount?

#39 User is offline   RickM610 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

I just installed my cb afew weeks ago but will also carry the wakie talkie and my nextel. Can't go wrong there!

View PostJerry Bransford, on Oct 5 2007, 03:09 PM, said:

It's illegal to use marine VHF for this purpose. I have both a 2m ham radio and a CB in my Jeep and in all the offroading I've done, I probably use the ham radio less than 5% of the time I use the CB. CB is the standard radio for offroading so far as clubs and organized events go with ham radio, if used at all in the particular event, as a secondary radio. :2thumup:

2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara Unl. - 35" X 13.50" Mickey Thompson A/T - 20" Chrome Metal Moto Wheels - 5.5 Rock Krawler triple threat suspension lift - Tom Woods front & rear drive shafts - Fox Steering Stabilizer - ARB Bull Front Bumper w/Smittybuilt winch - Mopar Off Road Rear Bumper w/tire carrier - 75 WX ST Cobra CB Radio - Mopar Trail Guide GPS

http://www.myjeepspace.com/RickM610

My Jeep (JK BEAST) on Facebook

Posted Image

#40 User is offline   Stretchman 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

Right now I have a vhf 2 meter, and I also have an RCI-2950 10 meter that can monitor CB. But I am looking to install a CB defnitely, and I'll probably go to a dual band antenna and see if I can get it to tune for a GMRS unit too. That way I can get away with only 2 antennas.
Stretchman

08 JK X with extras.

#41 User is offline   Monster76 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

nothing like my nextel, im planning on getting a cb though
89 YJ d44/d60 38" tsl's 4" springs front 4.5" XJ springs in rear HEAVY RIGHT FOOT 4.2 I6 5 spd sye w/custom shafts, some lights and ICE COLD A/C

#42 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

If you were to spend about 10 hours reading the tech manual and take a few practice exams, you could pass your tech and get your first ham license. Most vhf / uhf transceivers are 50 watts or so. That is plenty of power. The license is free. The test cost about $14 or so. The radios are from $25 used in good shape to $150 to$400 or so for a new one. If you want to you can spend thousands....just not necessary to do so.

What I'm getting at, is with very little effort you can get your ham ticket and have the best communications available. Tech's now have a portion of the 10 meter band. CB is 11 meters and was a ham band decades ago. You can run up to 200 watts in a small portion of 10 meters and have communications around the world. I'll be honest and say right now that is nearly impossible due to the sun spot cycle The next cycle which is starting up now is supposed to be one of the best ever and even CB will have long communications if you don’t mind listening to a bunch of pricks running thousands of watts covering up everything on the CB frequencies. At the same time because of the sunspot strength, we as hams will love it while cell phones and other satellites can be adversely affected. Cell phones, etc… could be knocked out of commission at times. CB could also be a problem when on the trails once the sun spot cycle gets in high gear from the illegal high power stations.

If you guys want, I’ll be glad to run another class or you can spend $80 for the license and up to $200 or so for a GMRS radio....

Robert…N9NQ

#43 User is offline   SeaMonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

CB, but I do carry 1 or 2 family radios as well.
- 2000 TJ with big rubbery tires for going on trails and stuff.

#44 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

I use hand signals...i only know one though. I always just used my cell phone.

Only the lead and tail need to communicate. I did a night ride where everybody had CBs and we would have been better off using the horns and yelling. Everybody talking at the same time and having a good time. That is until 10 of the 12 rigs got stuck at the same time. That was a long night.
BUILD IN PROCESS:
YJ, Chevy 350/th350/np208, front & rear stretch, MileMarker 12k winch, D44 w/ OX Locker & 4.88's,
12-bolt w/ Detroit Locker & 4.88's, 38.50x14.50r15 TSL/SX, 15x14 Centerline Wheels

#45 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

View Posttrailblazer, on May 18 2010, 08:47 AM, said:

Everybody talking at the same time and having a good time. That is until 10 of the 12 rigs got stuck at the same time. That was a long night.

sounds fun!
90 YJ 4.2 - 3" BL / 4" RC Lift / 33x12.5x15 TSL Swampers / Smittybuilt XRC-10
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Member: Square Headlight Intense Team
Member: South Florida Jeep Club
Always looking to get dirty…
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

"If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them"
"Dont quote me on anything i say from knowledge.. only experience"

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic