• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let's See Those Tow Rigs Post 'em if ya' got 'em

#1 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:22 AM

Seems this is the logical place to post pics and a description of our tow rigs. :scratch: I have had a few of them over the years but this is my most recent. I have had it since late September of '07. So far, I have been happy with it and hope to get many years of good use from it.

It's an '07 3500 5.9L CTD, Mega Cab, 4x4 SLT, with the auto tranny. I bought it late in the year, but they still had plenty of 5.9's available and they were dealing heavily on them so it was hard to pass one up.

I had the dealer install factory electric tow mirrors, and a rear electric sliding window as part of my purchase. They installed those items a couple weeks after I got it because they needed to order the parts, so not all the pics reflect that.

I installed an electrical brake controller, camper frame mounted tie-ins, Lance camper electrical harness, rear air bags, and a Titan Class V tow hitch.

Anyway, please feel free to post up info about your tow rig. :beer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   73_cj_project 

• Major

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

My current tow rig is also my work truck/DD. It's an '88 K2500 with a 5.7L gas motor. I've had it since November 2004. Since then I've put a Posi-lok cable for the 4wd, an electric brake controller, added a toolbox and replaced all the front suspension parts, as well as had the tranny rebuilt. It now has 232k miles on it, and still runs strong. The engine was rebuilt at 200k miles right before I bought it. It is getting tired of towing my Jeep since the Jeep has grown, but still manages. I want a diesel tow rig badly, so that'll be my next purchase. Here are a few pics of her.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some more recent ones. The Jeep actually just got bigger tires too, those are the 46s in this picture, it has some 52s now :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gus
73/80 CJ with lots of mods
2.5 ton install pics
Member of Swamp Things 4x4 Club

#3 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:43 AM

Here is mine, is also my daily driver.
2005 Ford Excursion, V-10 (yes no diesel, no V-8) 5" of lift, tiny 33" tires.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

I don't need no stinkin tow rig. I drive my Jeep everywhere. Of course I can't afford one either.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

#5 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:17 AM

View PostJack H, on Feb 14 2008, 11:05 PM, said:

I don't need no stinkin tow rig. I drive my Jeep everywhere. Of course I can't afford one either.

:tongue1:

I have done the same many times too.

Those are some nice rigs! :nopity:

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:10 AM

Well my first was a full size chevy van (no pics), I barely made it back so then I got a 2001 WJ V8 4wheel. Still have this but I only towed one year with it.

Than I got an F250 Diesel:

Posted Image

I sold the F250 and got a thing called Winnebago:
You can see it behind my rig. I was traveling a bit all over at least 4 times a year and a couple of times I took off for 2 months with the family when the kids were smaller.

Posted Image

Now the kids are in school, the War Dept is finishing up her career and I'm not traveling for now due to work ethics. :tongue1:

I sold the RV, still have the WJ but I'm in the market for a new Tow Rig.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#7 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

I know what you have been going thru Jim. I have bought & sold in different phases & for different reasons too.

I started out with a temporary tow rig. It was a brand new '02 WJ with lots of bells & whistles that I used to tow my YJ basically around the neighborhood. I never actually used it to tow my YJ to the trails.

I then bought my 2wd '03 2500 Ram Quad Cab Hemi. I kept that truck for ~5.5 years and towed cross country with it a number of times.

In the mean time, I also bought a ~30' Class A RV. I towed with the truck sometimes and the RV sometimes.

Being a single guy and no longer taking my kids with me wheelin' - I really didn't need the space the RV had, so I sold it and put a camper on the 2500. Best decision I could had made given I didn't need the space of the RV, extra insurance, registration, smog, a place to park it, cleaning, maintenance, etc.

The 2500 Ram was a good truck overall - but I wanted something more suitable for the long haul. That's when the 3500 CTD was considered and purchased. :tongue1:

Jim, maybe you're looking to go Ford again. I don't know, but since you're in the market, and as a heads-up, there have been some problems with the newer '07+ 6.9L CTD's. Mostly emissions related stuff. Mine is an '07, but I got the 5.9L CTD knowing of the problems. Both engines were available in '07. The '08's all have the 6.7L CTD's.

#8 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:19 AM

I wish I had the room and a few extra bucks for an old beater with a decent trailer. :biggrin1:

But you guys got me thinking, I started looking up quotes for such a set up from UHual, and came to a rather alarning conclusion..

Uhual does not let you reserve both a pickup truck and a auto transport! :down: :shock: :2thumup:
In Loving memory of my Caitiebaby..
June 26. 1988 - August 29, 2008

2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Full ACR suspension swap, 2" lowering springs, 17" SRT rims, CAI, Cat - Back, 5 speed, stage 2 clutch, strut tower bars, sway bars - Autocross Car/Daily Driver

1990 Jeep XJ - Gettin ready to make a scene.

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#9 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

when i hydro-locked then engine out in bear island and had to leave it out there, i went through the whole u-haul experience. you cannot rent a truck and a tow dolly unless it is a one-way move and you rent the big moving truck. they would rent me a pick-up truck or a van, but not a tow dolly...and vice versa. also, there's no way to fit 33" tires (or larger) on the tow dolly and safely lock em down. we bought a 13 year old pick up with 150k on it with the idea that we could haul a bunch of sheet rock and lumber for the home projects we have going on. even after fixing the a/c and the power windows, we still have less than $2k in it and it's already towed arnold several places...

-dave

#10 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:48 AM

View PostJoe Dillard, on Feb 15 2008, 08:18 PM, said:

Jim, maybe you're looking to go Ford again. I don't know, but since you're in the market, and as a heads-up, there have been some problems with the newer '07+ 6.9L CTD's. Mostly emissions related stuff. Mine is an '07, but I got the 5.9L CTD knowing of the problems. Both engines were available in '07. The '08's all have the 6.7L CTD's.

Thanks for the heads up Joe. I'm going to follow the other Topic just posted about "Diesel Or Not".

Until I'm able to travel again I'm going to sit and wait to see what is out there, I'm in no hurry right now. You might want to follow that other topic. I have to make sure that when my family is able to travel I still have some room, at least adequate anyway.

I was going to ask a few but I'll go to the other topic so as not to hijack this one.
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#11 User is offline   gmarton 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

I have a 85 cj7 to pull the 77:
Posted Image
But for long distance I take wife's rig:
Posted Image
'77 CJ7/AMC360/ 40" Ground Hawgs & SuperSwampers
'85 CJ7/258 Holley 550. 6" lift 35X12.50 ProComp X/MT
DANA 60 front/rear Detroit Trac Lock & TrueTrac on front A/C

#12 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:51 AM

View Postgmarton, on Apr 16 2008, 08:12 PM, said:

I have a 85 cj7 to pull the 77:
Posted Image

Damn that looks dangerous. Both rigs are abouit the same weight, now add the trailer. Can you say sway? I know as I have flat-towed a full sizer Chevy 4WD truck w/ my CJ from daytona to Miami, and experience I never want to duplicate.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#13 User is offline   73_cj_project 

• Major

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Actually with the CJ pulling the CJ it doesn't ride too bad, we're driving through town for most of the ride and seldom get past 40 mph, so it's a slow steady pull. And nothing like having another CJ to go rescue the first one when you get it good and stuck Although I think a lot of how something rides has to do with the trailer, mine rides like a cadillac, must be the hubcaps :D But having it properly loaded, strapped down, and the proper amount of tongue weight and balance is key. But I sure can't wait to get a diesel and a bigger trailer for my next rig, the Jeep has nearly outgrown the truck, thank goodness for trailer brakes
2.5 ton install pics

#14 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:33 AM

I towed to Tellico like this last October. It was a little swirrly. But I was going like 65-70. I towed a few weeks ago like this to Hard rock in Ocala doing 55-60 and it pulled great.

1998 Grand Cherokee (I6)
Posted Image

One weekend ill actually do the write up on the whole set up of the flat towing. From the install of the Tranny cooler to the custom hook up of the tow bar.
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#15 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

here is the tow rig for my CJ5
Posted Image
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   73_cj_project 

• Major

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

Sinister you're right, it would be heavy to take out and play in the mud. Really the only diesels that are out playing in the mud are the huge trucks on Chuck's Trucks website and those ones are even few and far between. And they usually have built 2.5 ton axles with huge swamp buggy sized tires. My buddy just finished building one with a cummins in it. and it's got 23.1-26 rice and canes on it, about 63" tall, 24" wide tires :D
2.5 ton install pics

#17 User is offline   CaptainCody 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:10 AM

:tongue1: Nice one 73.... :2thumup:

#18 User is offline   offroadpete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

wow sinister i just saw your truck 30 minutes ago on coral way and 150th ave, right at the stop sign where there the semi had to make a left. i was the tiny blue scooter with the bobble head helmet coming towards you. This truck must be scene in person to be appreciated it, forget the pics....
Check out HomegrownOffroad.com for all your offroad needs

Under Construction, estimated completion date, June '09

#19 User is offline   Dome 

• Corporal

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:02 PM

white elephant, Yes its a deisel.
Joe Dillard, Tim is the kid I'm Steve. Tim is using His name --Tim-- now so we don't get mixed up.

#20 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:20 AM

View PostDome, on Sep 18 2008, 03:02 PM, said:

white elephant, Yes its a deisel.
Joe Dillard, Tim is the kid I'm Steve. Tim is using His name --Tim-- now so we don't get mixed up.

Howdy Steve. Sorry about that. Tell Tim I said hi, will ya'.

Hope to see you guys in Moab in May! :)

Updated pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

View PostJoe Dillard, on Feb 19 2009, 01:20 AM, said:

Posted Image

Joe,

Is this an aluminum trailer or did you just painted gray :)
El Niņo

#22 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:25 AM

View PostJim B, on Feb 19 2009, 09:15 AM, said:

Joe,

Is this an aluminum trailer or did you just painted gray :2:

Hi Jim,

Naw, it's steel & rattle can white.

#23 User is offline   Monster76 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

Posted Image

and there is my cargo

Posted Image
89 YJ d44/d60 38" tsl's 4" springs front 4.5" XJ springs in rear HEAVY RIGHT FOOT 4.2 I6 5 spd sye w/custom shafts, some lights and ICE COLD A/C

#24 User is offline   Bevis 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Posted Image

2004 F350, 6 speed Manual Shift, ARP Head studs put in last May. Runs great with a 18' trailer
loaded.
97 TJ 2.5L, RE 5.5, 1" BL/MM, 35x12.50 BFG MT
Few Dents/Scratches From Roll @ Tellico
...and that tree in Ocala

Caloosa Jeepers Florida Jeepers

"Good News, If you woke up breathing. You have another chance"

#25 User is offline   Dome 

• Corporal

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

My set up ready to head out Ouray Co.

Truck, Camper & Jeep

#26 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is my new setup. Had a Van with trailer, had a Ford350 with trailer, bought a bed camper, sold all got an RV with Trailer, sold it, and now this is my LAST setup.

Joe, remember this post on page one a while back :grin: Got the 2500 Ram 2005.

View PostJoe Dillard, on Feb 15 2008, 08:18 PM, said:

I know what you have been going thru Jim. I have bought & sold in different phases & for different reasons too.

I started out with a temporary tow rig. It was a brand new '02 WJ with lots of bells & whistles that I used to tow my YJ basically around the neighborhood. I never actually used it to tow my YJ to the trails. I then bought my 2wd '03 2500 Ram Quad Cab Hemi. I kept that truck for ~5.5 years and towed cross country with it a number of times. In the mean time, I also bought a ~30' Class A RV. I towed with the truck sometimes and the RV sometimes. I really didn't need the space the RV had, so I sold it and put a camper on the 2500. Best decision I could had made given I didn't need the space of the RV, extra insurance, registration, smog, a place to park it, cleaning, maintenance, etc.

Below is Bch4x4Cop with his truck and double goose that we share to save on fuel. Now we have a back up truck as well. :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image
El Niņo

#27 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

Nice, make sure you do not put any stress on the trany as the trailer tries to move forward when you are loading. :good2:

I have a dove by mine seems to be a bit low on dip entrances for gas stations, etc. I take them sideways and it helps.
El Niņo

#28 User is offline   Dome 

• Corporal

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

I put in 4 low (4 to1 t case) lock the rear and let it load it self. Not much stress going on. Good to know info though for thoughs that have to goose it a bit to get up on the dove tail.

#29 User is offline   Krocker 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

wonderful!I'm not yet onto that...but this gives me idea...
best-selling brands of Rubicon Express and Pro Comp Tires

#30 User is offline   Joe Dillard 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

After installing a different front axle in my POS YJ, I was concerned if it would still fit on my trailer which is 84" between the wheel wells and side rails. :nervous:

Well, it *barely* squeezes onto it with very little room to spare. The tires slightly rub the sides where they balloon out at the bottom, but I can live with that.

I suppose if anything, the side rails will help it from side-to-side motion. :mouthzip1: :1thumb:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic