Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OBA (On Board Air) Here is a cheap way to go

#1 User is offline   73_cj_project 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

Alright, as requested here are some pictures of my set up on my rig. It was made easier for me since it has an AMC V8 which matches the 360 in Waggy's which are excellent donors for this type of set up. It is a York 210 A/C pump. This means it's a 10 CC chamber, there are 3 types of Yorks, a 206, 208, and 210, the 210 being the largest and thus supplies the most air, but all of them work well since they have their own oil sump and don't rely on the oil in the freon of a normal system to lubricate them.

Aside from the pump and brackets, which I got at the JY for $25, I needed a one way check valve, a few T fittings, a pressure switch, an oil/water seperator, an air regulator, a few hoses, a blow off valve, and a filter for the intake side. Most of the parts I got from hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. The pressure switch came from Graybar, but some hardware stores or air compressor service shops should sell those. The one way check valve and the blow off valve also came from an air compressor service shop, Air Compressor Works, which is local to me in WPB.

From there it was time to open up the pump and see how the seals and everything were. Mine was in great shape so I didn't mess with anything, just put it back together. While I had it apart I also did a small mod that stops the oil output from the pump on the air side, there is a small oil journal that sends oil up to lubricate the top end of the pump, but isn't necessary in this set up since it tends to send oil out the output side. If you search on Google you should find some tech articles for this, I don't have my links off my old computer, otherwise I'd give you guys the link for it. But basically you drill out the journal a tad, and tap it and put in a set screw to plug the hole. With that done you're ready to start mounting things up.

I mounted the pump on the engine with the stock brackets that came off the Waggy and it bolted right to my 304 just like it was on the Waggy. From there I laid out where I wanted to put everything, and proceeded to plumb it in. I used an adapter to adapt down from the output size on the pump itself down to 1/4" NPT fittings. Then put in the check valve, then the T fitting to put the pressure switch in, and wired it to the A/C pump clutch. From there I put a short piece of hose and then went to the oil/water seperator, out of there was another piece of hose that went to the pressure regulator and from there I still need a short hose to plumb it into my bumper which doubles as my storage tank. From there I have the blowoff valve mounted in the bottom of the bumper, which I should've put in a different spot, it's kinda vulnerable there, so I made a little plate to block it from getting whacked. But it would work just as well mounted on the back side of the bumper. For the weld in bungs, I got them from a hydraulic shop. From there, I have a quick connect coupling that comes out the back of the bumper to connect an air hose. Here are the pics and a bit of a description for each one.

Posted Image
That's my pressure regulator with a little mount I made for it from some box tubing.

Posted Image
That's where I need to plumb the other hose from the pressure regulator and into the bumper.

Posted Image
That's the blow off valve, I got a 200 psi one since that's what all my fittings are rated for. As you can see, it's kinda sticking out waiting to get whacked off, so I might move it to the back side soon.

Posted Image
This is where my quick connect coupling goes in.

Posted Image
There is the pump mounted in place and you can see the filter on the top and the output on the bottom with the pressure switch, the big gray box.

Posted Image
Here is a better shot of the output and input sides.

Posted Image
Here you can see the one way valve, then the T fitting with the pressure switch and the hose routing out to the oil/water seperator and then to the regulator.

That's about it for my set up, feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer, I put it together more than a year ago, but I'll do my best to remember, or if you want any other pictures of anything.

Gus
73/80 CJ with lots of mods
2.5 ton install pics
Member of Swamp Things 4x4 Club

#2 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:59 AM

this is a great mod i need to do this to mine so that il have air and dino can save his dive tanks for diving!!!!
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

#3 User is offline   XrayDivr 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

i like it!! just so happens i have an ac compressor just sitting doing nothing under the hood. i think it's time to put it to good use. too bad i still dont have any one of a dozen
contractor compressors that i've thrown out over the yrs for parts. i guess its time to head to the swap shop.
president: jubicon express off-road

at jubicon express i'm not only the president but i'm also a client.

#4 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

i need to find ac comp brackets for a amc 304-401 anybody with one pm me...
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:07 AM

Nice write Gus, great pics. :2thumup:

Got a question. A few of my out of state buddies I wheeled with that have the York set up needed to install some type of oil water seperator. For some reason some times oil gets mixed up with the air and the moisture of water can run havoc on air tools.

Have you had any problems with this :biggrin1:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#6 User is offline   73_cj_project 

• Major

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:35 AM

After doing the pump mod to plug the oil journal for the top end that cuts down about 95% of the oil that normally comes out. Then the water seperator takes care of the rest of it. I haven't had any trouble with it so far. I haven't had a lot of occassion to need it for air tools. Mostly for airing up tires.

Gus
2.5 ton install pics

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:34 AM

View Post73_cj_project, on Feb 1 2008, 08:35 AM, said:

After doing the pump mod to plug the oil journal for the top end that cuts down about 95% of the oil that normally comes out. Then the water seperator takes care of the rest of it. I haven't had any trouble with it so far. I haven't had a lot of occassion to need it for air tools. Mostly for airing up tires.

Gus

Good to hear that you only have to worry about 5% and the water separator knocks off the rest. :biggrin1:

I was never much for running air tool with any on board compressor either. Even if you have a tank you are only going to get spurts at a time, then you have to worry about the weight of the air tools. When I was using a scuba tank a good while back the air tools were better but... even though the compressed air was dry the speed of the air coming out to atmosphere started freezing things a bit with the tools running in any length of time.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#8 User is offline   73_cj_project 

• Major

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:53 AM

Yeah. it's not really meant to be a mobile shop, my big roofing air compressor is what that's for. But it does the job fairly well for what it is. I also had a hand throttle set up on it for a while so I could bump up the flow on it, but when I swapped in the fuel injection stuff I didn't ever remake the cable for it and adjust it for the different linkage. As for the weight of the air tools, really the only one I would be carrying is an impact gun, just for making tire changing and the like easier. It is nice not to have to carry tanks or worry about getting them refilled, but you do have to have the motor running and such, so they all have their good points and drawbacks, but this was a simple, fairly inexpensive solution for me.

Gus
2.5 ton install pics

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic