• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CJ7 Steering Box & Pump Replace To many choices

#1 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

I am going to upgrade the steering on my77 CJ7. I was ready to bite the bullet when I ran into some forums that have me confused. So, Here's the choices:
AGR Superbox 2 $339.00
AGR super pump $141.00
Or
PSC Motor Sports Rock Box(Who split from AGR) $345.00
PSC Pump. ?
Or
Car Steering which is using the same modifications as the PSC for $265.00

My delima is after reading a few articles I found out AGR was the king of the hill, but they were bought out and Quality + service went with the sale. Now supposedly PSC is the king of the roost. I also found out Car steering does the same modifications to the box(except for Aluminum Caps) everyone who tried the Car steering has had good results. Everyone who used PSC seems to be happy. Everyone who used AGR has not neccessarily been happy!!!!!
So I am looking to you pro's out there to give me some feed back. What's the scoop?
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

Here is what I have found out about steering boxes.
The big J20 steering box everyone talks about can only be had with flare fittings (through 79). FSJ steering boxes with o-ring fittings (80-up) are all the same and have the smaller piston. No matter if they came off of a J20 or wagoneer. But they do have the better ratio than the CJ box and will make a noticeable difference. So if you want to do the J20 thing you will need to change hoses to the earlier style flare fittings and get a PS pump with flare fittings.
If you want the bigger steering gear with o-ring fittings look at the 98/99 dodge durango gear. They run about $210 remanned.

CJ power steering box has a fixed 20:1 ratio while the J20 box has a 13:1-16:1 variable ratio (which happens to be the same as a jeep TJ).

If you don't have manual steering you will have to get the lower bell coupler joint for a manual steering jeep CJ shaft and put it on your power steering shaft. The manual steering shaft is 3/4" just like the J20 box, while the power steering is something like 11/16".

4WD.com they just call it a steering shaft joint kit. Here is the part number 8121299K.

JEG's sells a U-joint coupler which is the way to go.

P.S. What they mean by "variable ratio" is that, as you turn the wheel more, the tires turn faster until you get to full lock. That way, the steering isn't as touchy when you're just driving in a straight line and adjusting for drift or steering around roadkill, but if you have to dodge a deer or something, the steering speeds up to provide faster reaction.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

The Three boxes I mentioned all bolt right up as I will replace hoses and pump. I want everything new. Trying to eleminate any dangers and I'm not fond of breaking down on the trail. I will use one of the three that I mentioned above
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

Sounds good, let us know which one U go with.

We expect pics & a write up :biggrin1:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic