Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Noisy Track Bar Fix

#1 User is offline   Valfam 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

A few weeks ago I installed a new track bar I guess the mud has made it a little noisy, well to night I set out to fix that.

I hope you find it usefull I'm sure this can be done to any other mount that uses a rubber bussing. I don't know how to post pictures here, but I have a few, my son took the pictures as I did the work. I was a big help I hate taking off my gloves to take a picture.

Ruben

1- Remove the track bar and place it on your bench.
2- Clamp it down with your table clamp
3- Using a center punch mark the center between the ends. (Note: make sure you are placing the grease fitting in a location that you can get to it easily and that it will not interfere with any other suspension or steering component.)
4- I put a few drops of oil on the new location that I will be drilling. Using the correct drill bit for the size grease fitting. Drill thru the metal the rubber bushing and the metal bushing.
5- Now using the correct size tap for the grease fitting tap the newly drilled hole. (Note: again I just some light motor oil to lube up the tap.
6- Now place the new grease fitting in the hole and screw it down. (Note: I have never had a problem with a grease fitting coming lose, but I you like you can put some loctite red compound.
7- This is the cool part. With a hacksaw cut 4 lines all the way across the rubber bussing don’t cut the bushing all the way throw. (Note: make sure you cut little groves on the inside metal bushing the will allow the grease the lube up the outer bushing).
8- If the metal bushing is in to deep use a dermal to cut the groves on the inside metal bushing make sure it lines up with the groves you made with the hacksaw.
9- Install the trackbar, don’t tighten it all the way just yet.
10- Using your grease gun pump some grease into the new grease fitting.
11- If every thing is working as it should you should see the grease seeping out by the little groves you cut.
Ruben
2015 Grand Cherokee 4X4 Summit

Definition of JEEP = J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket

Check Out My Jeeps at Cardomain's Site My Jeeps

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:59 AM

Ruben,

This is a really nice Tech Tip, I here this complain all the time while talking to the guys with new lifts, etc. :cool1:

Shame you could not post the pictures. Go here: Posting Pictures
If this does not help go find the topic in the support forum and some of us will try and help you out. Would be nice to have and see some of these pics. :good:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   Valfam 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

Here are the pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have more pictures if you want to see them.
Ruben
2015 Grand Cherokee 4X4 Summit

Definition of JEEP = J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket

Check Out My Jeeps at Cardomain's Site My Jeeps

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic