Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transmission overheating help

#1 User is offline   Alex 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:55 PM

Ok people, think automatic transmission. Overheating for automatics is not on just Jeeps, it could be on any other one of your cars or trucks with automatics. So think now...

TF999 Automatic- Its overheating since the woods last weekend. God some water in it. Dropped the pan on the trail, changed fluid. Then Changed fluid when i got home and filter too.

Just drove about 15 miles round trip and my trans temp was reading 210 when i got home. I turned the hose on it and sprayed it for about 5 minutes while it was idling in neutral. I looked at the gauge and it was still reading 210...

This is where you come in....

Do you think...

1.) there is blockage in the lines running to the external cooler?
2.)The pump failed while driving and is not circulating the fluid?
3.) The remaining water has broken down the fluid and is not allowing it to lubricate and cool effectively?
4.) Make something up....

Thanks,

-Alex
-94 1 ton YJ - lifted/welded/300 ponies 4.7 Stroker/snorkel/winch/37 boggers 4sale
-04 superduty 6.0 diesel, hemlock performance transmission, ARP headstuds,EGR delete, SCT Livewire, 6" Procomp, exhaust,
-06 cummins 3500

www.southeasthay.com

#2 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:12 PM

I am willing to bet it is a clogeed tube, or in the lines in the rad.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#3 User is offline   Mountain Man 

• Colonel

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:21 AM

Alex, on Jul 10 2005, 01:56 PM, said:

This is where you come in....

Do you think...
1.) there is blockage in the lines running to the external cooler?
2.)The pump failed while driving and is not circulating the fluid?
3.) The remaining water has broken down the fluid and is not allowing it to lubricate and cool effectively?
4.) Make something up....

Thanks,
-Alex

:drive: YES!
1982 CJ-7, 31" tires, 12,000 lb. Ramsey Winch.
2002 Jeep Liberty, lifted, 31" tires.

If GOD wanted us to own 2 wheel drive vehicles,
He would have paved the whole earth.

SFJC, Jeep Club Advisor

#4 User is offline   ljbbear 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

Is it possible the cooler line is pinched or that the cooler fins are plugged with mud/dirt? As for the pump not working; if you had no pump it would not move. Line pressure is what the transmission uses to engage the clutch packs that hold the trans in gear. The water in the fluid is not good but it will not have any effect on cooling. Trans fluid is water soluble and will brakedown eventually. It also possible you picked up foreign matter that has gotten into the line to the cooler. Both lines can be removed at the transmission and low (approx 40- 50psi), blown through the cooler and lines. Several companies make a flush kit for this. Under NO circumstances blow back into the trans! I would start with cleaning out the cooler, assuming you have an added cooler. the flushing the lines. Let us know how it's going.
James

#5 User is offline   Alex 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

I just had my transmission flush about 30 minutes ago and on the way home the temp got up high over 200 again. The cooler lines must not be blocked because thats where they did the in and out. Last thing that is there would be the external cooler. Im gonna pull that out when it cools down a bit. What do you think i should do in order to clean out the external cooler? whats the best method, use my air compressor and push air through the cooler and then try to top off the cooler with transmission fluid?

-Alex
-94 1 ton YJ - lifted/welded/300 ponies 4.7 Stroker/snorkel/winch/37 boggers 4sale
-04 superduty 6.0 diesel, hemlock performance transmission, ARP headstuds,EGR delete, SCT Livewire, 6" Procomp, exhaust,
-06 cummins 3500

www.southeasthay.com

#6 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

Yes, blow air lightly through it in the opposite way the fluid flows & back it up w/a rag to see what might be in there, I just can't see anything that would get into the cooler since U have a filter the tranny. Humm, did U remove the plug from the cooler upon install or maybe a piece of the rubber plug is in the cooler restricting it. Sounds like U R getting some fluid to go through but it's not getting the full effect/cooling.

Just a thought,
RollBar

P.S. Then top off the cooler like U said & reinstall.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#7 User is offline   Alex 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

I have to say, there was a bunch of grit in the pan when i dropped it on the trail. Since then, it should be cleaner but ssome grit mightve gotten past the cooler. WE'll see when i disect in a few minutes.

The plug was removed upon install. It used to cool fine up until the trail incident.

Could it be possible that the filter is getting clogged up inside the trans?

This is the second filter changed after the trail.

Alex
-06 cummins 3500

www.southeasthay.com

#8 User is offline   Alex 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:03 PM

OK,

UPDATE

Took it for a test drive, changed location of cooler and used some air to blow through it and then topped the cooler off again.

The overheating problem is still there but i checked the in and out lines and the in line to the cooler was hot and the out line was warm. Either that means that its working effectively and cooling the fluid but thats having no overall effect on the temp sensor running into the side of the transmission or there is some serious blockage and very little flow.

What do you guys think, order a new transmission cooler?
-06 cummins 3500

www.southeasthay.com

#9 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:13 PM

If U blew through the cooler it's fine. Did the flush out Co. change the filter out, sometimes they get lazy & don't do it. They atre supose to change it out after the flush, if not what they flush into the filter will stay. I've seen where they change it first & then do the flush. Hummmmmmmm.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#10 User is offline   Alex 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:59 PM

No they didnt change the filter...b-tards. I bought a new cooler, im gonna see if it works since i already have it. If not then i'll drop the pan for like the 4th time in 1 month! Ahhh!

Thanks Jim,

-Alex
-06 cummins 3500

www.southeasthay.com

#11 User is offline   ljbbear 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:57 PM

You might also check the actual trans temp. using an infrared gun. It may not be overheating. You may have damaged the sending unit or the wiring.
It sure sounds like you have the flow you should have. So it's possible...
Also, when you had the fluid done. Do you know if they flushed it or just did a "spill and fill" without filter??? If it was just a change they didn't do anything you haven't done already!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic