Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Front Alloy Axles Beefing up your Front Axles

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 12 May 2003 - 08:02 PM

There has been a lot of talk about beefing up front D30s and D44s with inner axle alloys with CTM or Ox ujoints. Some reports I get from other Jeepers is that they are holding well. :rolleyes:

I personally don't use them since I have a bigger axle, but I always get email on my opinion in this issue. My reply is usually on what I've seen or heard from other Jeepers since I have no personal experience on these. With regards to the alloy axles Warn seems to have the inner but not the outer. I heard that Superior came out with inner and outers having a bit more flex than the Warns. Can anyone with first hand experience give their two cents on this matter? Any others in the market? :)
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 14 May 2003 - 02:23 PM

I have been getting the run around on the chrom/moly axles for a year now. At least I have a pretty good idea of what each is about.

Warn--outer not available with stock hub, got to go to their design and much more expensive as a result. If you need locking hubs then good idea if not it isnt. The Warn axle is a good strong one but it tends to be a little brittle as heat treated the same throughout.
Superior--This axle is available in the 27 spline (d30 stock) and soon to be available in the 30 spline (super 30 to go with the SUPER 44) neither of which is stock and both of which require regearing and relockering if used. I observed personally the testing of the strength of this axle and it is awesome in the 27 spline model (no nothing about the 30 spline one). It is double heat treated with the inner core being different from the outer core which allows it to absorb torque without breaking. I saw it BEND like a pretzel then SPRING RIGHT BACK INTO SHAPE under incredible stress, far more then most gears would handle, so I doubt anyone is going to be breaking it. The drawback is COST. They INSIST on putting Spicer 760 ujoints in and charging total of $700 for outer and inner both sides total. They are presently out of stock but expect more in a couple weeks.

There MIGHT be a cheaper alternative coming out. Originally I had on order with Randy's Ring and Pinion THEIR D30 chrom/moly. Cost was to be $400 TOTAL and Randy himself ASSURED ME it would be equally as strong as the Superior axle, it was to be manufactured overseas. First shipment got screwed up in the Dock Strike and then the War in Iraq screwed up delivery of the second, so IN DISGUST I decided to go with Superior. Anyone willing to wait and accepting of a foreign made axle this one will be much cheaper then the Superior alternative. John

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

John, how R they holding up @ this point?

Is Randy still offering the axles cheaper?
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#4 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:02 AM

I ended up with the SUPERIOR alloy front axle. As you probably know this axle is double heat treated with the core being softer and flexier and the outer harder and less flexible. The purpose is to allow some flex without hurting the axle. My ujoints are the Spicer 760's but because I have alloy axles they have c clips. I only run 34" TRXUS MT's, which is a heavy tire. I have had no trouble with this axle. Nor do I know anyone else who has in normal offroading (we had a fellow break one but he was JUMPING his jeep and broke everything in the front). I would recommend this axle up to and including 35" tires, anything larger I presume one should go with a beefier axle to get the larger ring and pinion, I think the axle itself would hold up well up to 37" tires. I do NOT think it necessary to go with OX or CTM ujoints with this axle.
Since I bought mine another company ALLOY AXLE or something like that has been formed by the fellow who used to work at Superior. He has an outstanding personal reputation, but unlike Superior his axles are manufactured overseas (I think India but not sure). I understand his axles are cheaper then superior.
I dont think Rusty ever did end up manufacturing his own axles. john

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic