• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dana44/Ford8.8/Amc20

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 18 June 2003 - 08:46 AM

Everyone,

Here is a nice small write up with additional links comparing the Dana44 and the Ford 8.8.
D44 or Ford 8.8

From the looks of this, the 8.8 seems to have the advantage with regards to cost and strength (doing a few mods to the tubes).... but more people are making things for the Dana such as the Super 35 or Super 44. It all comes down to your wallet. :trumpet:

Just a slight bit of additional information to confuse, make a lot harder to decide for the guys/girls that don't know which way to go. :sombrero: :man:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   vts 

• Corporal
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2003 - 08:49 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! NOoooooooooo.

Thanks, I'll go read the article now.

#3 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant
  • Group: Member

Posted 18 June 2003 - 12:49 PM

The 8.8 is a fine axle (I have one w/ disc brakes) rates between a D44 and a D60/ strengthwise, axleshafts are a bit stronger than D60 30 spline.

BUT........

If you are running 35-36" or smaller tires, you'll never know the difference between it and a D44. I would have been just as happy w/ a D44.

Disc brakes (on the rear) are highly overrated and not worth the trouble if that's the only reason for the swap. The front brakes are what counts on our rigs.

Downsides of the 8.8 vs. D44?......A few that may or may not be a problem.

They have a really bad lip that catches everything on the bottom, I built a good skid/slider for mine, problem solved........but not for you.

The pinion is offset to the side 1.5", usually not a problem w/ a CV shaft and proper driveline angles, but could be in unusual circumstances.

C-clips.....not a worry at all with me, as I have only heard of 2 of these axleshafts ever breaking and that was with high-horse V-8's and 38" tires and lots of crazy driving and there may have been other problems (bent tubes, etc) involved. I've heard of lot's more D60's breaking. Also, the axles couldn't walk out (if broken) as it has disc brakes to hold them in. Also, c-clip eliminators are available.

And, Jim, it would surprise you how much aftermarket support the axle has, both 33 and 35 spline conversions are available. There are tons of these 8.8's used in the drag racing circles.

HB

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 18 June 2003 - 04:33 PM

O.K. Jim,
Where can I get the 8.8 axle, junk yard? & if so what year should I get?
I want to put the OX in it.

Also will it bolt up to my 79 CJ or do I have to cut the axle down.
I know I have to get the adapter for the springs etc.

I am going to keep my 30 in the front & get rid of my AMC 20 in the rear.

Thanks,
RollBar
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#5 User is offline   Mud Crawler 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:17 PM

I've been looking to swap in an 8.8 for some time now instead of polishing the 35, but the 35 is hanging in there, I have been easy on the skinny pedal. I found a couple of them at yard in Medley for around $350. I've read a ton of write-ups, I just have a feeling that with my luck :2thumup: something is just not going to work right. :drive: Anyway I'm still going to go for it :sneak: .

#6 User is offline   Mud Crawler 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:45 PM

rollbar, on Jun 18 2003, 05:33 PM, said:

Where can I get the 8.8 axle, junk yard? & if so what year should I get?
I want to put the OX in it.

Rollbar, I don't think they make the OX for the 8.8, unless someone has some new info? I checked their website click here but it's down. I've read on a couple other boards that they recently shipped out some new cables or something to enhance the performance of the locker so I guess they are still in business. They're based somewhere in Ft. Lauderdale, I'd like to have one for the 30 :jump:

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:20 PM

Rollbar,
When it comes to the Ford 8.8 I have little or no experience (I'm a D60,35 spline home boy) so I would not guess or try to give you wrong information. Hellbender is the guy that is probably your best bet since he has a ton of experience and can tell you the ins and outs like no other person I know (hoping here to keep his ego down). HB we're calling on you here... :bounce:

Personally I think you should keep your amc20, make the single axle mod and put an Ox in it. It would be cheaper and less of a hassle in the long run. :unsure:

There is a guy who just opened up a small shop who is the best I know in installing Oxes, gears, drivetrain and suspensions in Sunrise, Fl. It's worth the drive down especially if you are going to install the Ox. :thumbup:

MudCrawler is correct, Ox does not make anything for the 8.8 yet and they are still very much in business. There biggest distributor now is 4wheelParts. They have made a few modifications to facilitate the install to prevent butchers from installing them wrong and giving Ox a bad name instead of blaming themselves. I think the problem with them was; they grew to fast, could not keep up with demand, bad installs, not enough man power to cover the problems.

Hellbender brought up the Eaton electric, I think this will give Ox, ARB a run for their money. I heard good things from the very few that have been installed. All I've done is heard, I wish someone with this locker that wheels it hard can give us some input. I don't know if I would want to be one of the first pigs on this. Maybe Hellbender will volunteer. :photo: :gossip: :idea: :disguise1:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#8 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:20 PM

Thanks all,

If I find out anything I will let you know.

I guess I'm going to keep the 20 since the OX won't go in the 8.8 etc.

I found out about the OX etc. in Sunrise I have to get somethings together caused I just sold my house & I'm still dealing w/ things, but when the smoke clears I'm getting it done. Ox, axles for the rear etc. :gossip:

Thanks for everything,

RollBar :unsure: :bounce:

#9 User is offline   Mud Crawler 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:28 PM

Jim B, on Jun 18 2003, 08:20 PM, said:

There is a guy who just opened up a small shop who is the best I know in installing Oxes, gears, drivetrain and suspensions in Sunrise, Fl.  It's worth the drive down especially if you are going to install the Ox.  :thumbup:

Jim B, any more info on this shop? :jump:

#10 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:29 PM

MudCrawler,
Just posted the information on his 4x4 shop on the "Jeep After market & 4x4 shops". :unsure:

Btw guys,
I just heard information with regards to the Ox locker for the Ford 8.8, should be out in about 3 months. They will ship the third member complete with ring/pinion, carrier, etc. All you have to do is bolt the old one off and bolt the new one on. Let's not forget to hook up the cable. This should be interesting. :gossip:
El Niņo

#11 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:59 PM

rollbar-

I agree w/ Jim on keeping your 20, with the solid axles, they are good-to-go w/ up to 35" tires.

Years ago (showing my age :strong: ) I had a '76 CJ w/ a 401 and installed Ditch Witch tires (full tractor lug, 16" wide), must have weighed 100 lbs each.

I put solid axles in the 20 and mud-raced that thing for 2 years w/ nary a break (on the axles, anyway :sneak: )

Mud Crawler--What are you driving, C,Y, or TJ?

HB

#12 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 19 June 2003 - 03:48 PM

Thanks hellbender,
I think that I'm going to keep the 20 & go for the axles & OX locker. :unsure:

Thanks again everyone,
Jim

#13 User is offline   Mud Crawler 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:16 PM

Jim B, on Jun 19 2003, 02:29 PM, said:

Btw guys,
I just heard information with regards to the Ox locker for the Ford 8.8, should be out in about 3 months.  They will ship the third member complete with ring/pinion, carrier, etc.  All you have to do is bolt the old one off and bolt the new one on.  Let's not forget to hook up the cable.  This should be interesting.  :unsure:

Jim B, are they coming out with something for the 8.8 or the 9''?I don't see how a 3rd member would apply to an 8.8, but then again you learn something new everyday. :jump:

#14 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 20 June 2003 - 07:42 AM

Mud Crawler, on Jun 19 2003, 10:16 PM, said:

Jim B, are they coming out with something for the 8.8 or the 9''?I don't see how a 3rd member would apply to an 8.8, but then again you learn something new everyday.  :jump:

MudCrawler,

You are correct. My mind got ahead of my typing. :unsure: Yes the will have the 8.8 in about 3 to 4 months, the Ford9 third member bolt in will come afterwards. :gossip:
El Niņo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic